OS 4.0 - Option to cancel texts before they send?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nipz, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Just wondered if they finally put an option in to cancel texts?

I often press send instead of P or something when fast typing and send half a message!

2. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

+1. i once did that and quickly held the home and power to shut off before it sent:cool:

3. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I'm sure you get this all the time but I seriously thought there was a bug on my screen...

Anyway. I do the same thing, but unfortunately, I don't think there is anything to prevent this on the new iPhone though. Haven't heard of anything, anyway, and I feel like it would be big news.

4. troop231 macrumors 603

Here could be a solution for Apple (hope you're listening :p) Holding the send button down 2x longer than the current time could solve this.

5. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

The amount of "omg my iphone wont send texts" threads we would get on MacRumors because of this is haunting.

6. Nipz thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

All the time :) love it! Still gets me!

Just think the feature has been missing since version 1. Understand that there must be a very sort amount of time between pressing the button and the text being sent, else people would complain about taking to long to send etc. Maybe just a need for an option in the settings to ask if you want to send the text or something? or just move the bloody button :) Apples choice!

7. troop231 macrumors 603

Another good idea, how about: Swipe to the right to send! :D

8. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Oh I really like that actually =)

9. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

Man. I wish the iPhone had this so bad. On my old Razr and Ailis 1 phone, I could just press the 'end' button and it would cancel. idk why the Send button couldn't turn into a 'Cancel' button once you press send. There is that 1-2 second delay in the shipment of the message where you can press cancel.

10. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Exactly, that is the best solution and not that hard to include at all.

11. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

I have been sending Apple the suggestion to completely MOVE the send button to another area on the SMS screen for almost 3 years...nothing yet...it's obviously too close to the rest of the keyboard no matter how skinny or fat your fingers are

12. The General macrumors 601

jailbreak, install bitesms, turn on 3 second delay, profit.

13. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I think it's pretty clear we're talking about the stock OS here.

14. elephunkman macrumors 65816

That makes a lot of sense to make the send button turn to a cancel button immediately after sending it.

15. The General macrumors 601

OMG REALLY? I had no idea! That's probably because I'm illiterate and thus have no reading comprehension skills whatsoever. Thank you for informing me. Next time I will try harder to keep my posts germane to the original post instead of posting my obviously off topic nonsense.

FTFO

16. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Cool. Because 4.0 hasn't been jailbroken or released yet to regular users. Good job on the sarcasm.

17. The General macrumors 601

Yeah, you're right. It hasn't be jailbroken yet.

Oh wait, there's this... http://wikee.iphwn.org/howto:rsbeta

18. elephunkman macrumors 65816

19. rrjr80 macrumors member

rrjr80

Wow, thanks for posting the solution! I had no idea what jailbreaking was before you mentioned it in this thread! You are the hero of the day, and we might as well close this thread because you've solved everyone's problem with your suggestion. You sir are a gentleman, and we are all the wiser or having posted in the same thread as you. Thanks to your genius, we have nothing more to discuss in regards to this matter. Your Certificate of Accomplishment should arrive in the mail within seven to ten business days.

God speed!

20. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Thanks for that. Maybe you could not freak out and realize that the topic didn't have to do with jailbreaking and was only a question asking if Apple included the option in 4.0. I think everyone here knows that jailbreaking brings more options for customization. Besides, that meme is boring now and you don't sound as clever or witty as you think you do. I mean, c'mon, you're around thirty years old, and this is how you act?

21. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

No offense to you, but that is an awful idea. Holding down the Send button for 1 second would make a lot more sense to me. The iPhone is built so 14 year old girls can use it as well as tech people, there's no way they would make all these crazy swipe gestures for simple things like sending a message. The last thing I want is to have to remember which way to swipe depending on which page im on. The learning curve would be huge and Apple even says it as part of their product line as "The iPad, the product you already know how to use." Simplicity and power are equally their objectives.

22. troop231 macrumors 603

Wow not really.

23. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Not really to which part of my post?

24. troop231 macrumors 603

Most of it. Swiping would be alot more cool and fun than hitting a button. There's already plenty of gestures and one more isn't going to be hard to remember.

25. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Ok, to each his own. We are all entitled to our own opinions. Unfortunately, neither of our opinions matter on the subject because neither of us work at Apple.