OS 4.0 release day today?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Darwing, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Darwing macrumors 6502

do you think they will release the 4.0 upgrade today or wait till the new Iphone comes out?

2. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

If the new phone is definitely coming out today, then OS 4.0 will be released. If not, then the GM will be released instead.

3. Darwing thread starter macrumors 6502

no I realize that the 4.0 software is getting released with the new phone, because the estimates are that the release of the new phone is the 18th of June, so I was wondering if they are releasing the update for all current phones today to lessen the bog down of the servers cause of all the people wanting to get multitasking on the release day of the phone.

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

The new iPhone will not be readily available for sale today, thus I don't expect the update until either later this week or until next week/the following week along with the new iPhone.

5. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Multitasking is not going to clog up any network any more than it already is.

From past experiences, the new OS is always released on the same day as the new phone. Last year, the GM was release at the WWDC (about 7 days before it was officially released). With all this crap AT&T is doing (early updates and such), it seems it's coming out today. We'll see!

6. flipshot macrumors 6502a

iPhone OS 3 actually came out (not GM) 2 days before the iPhone 3GS did to try and prevent issues with the activation servers going down.

7. Darwing thread starter macrumors 6502

LOL I know that its not a server side function!!!! :p LOL My point is that this is the most anticipated update for the iPhone because of the multitasking, and everyone is waiting to upgrade their 3Gs's and are going to all rish to download the new firmware (hence bogging down the system). I am unsure that apple wants to have all of this going on at the same time as the relase date of the new iPhone...

Yes this is what I was trying to figure out, early updates allow for apple to A) guarantee all bugs out for the release of the new iphone and B) diffuse the amount of action on the activation servers and download servers all at once C) allow the apple support team to not get completely hammered with both the upgrades and the new phone bugs...

I was unaware of this but my point exactly, however I feel as though they will need more than 2 days of diffusion of the activation system because of the sheer growth of the iPhone and expectations of the new iPhone

8. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Yes and I believe they will do something similar this year. It won't be released today, but it will be released shortly before the new iPhone is released.

9. danwms macrumors member

Hope the jailbreak does not take to long to come along after it.

10. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

+1 I just JB my 3GS like 2 weeks ago and I'm loving it. Feels like a new phone. Still trying to debate if I should get the 4G now or wait till it's JB then get it.

11. Marty Macfly macrumors regular

It has been said that an exploit already exists.

12. LarzStarz macrumors member

The iPhone developer portal is down with the "We'll be back soon" page coming up. My guess is they're going to release the GM version today for developers, but nothing else from a software perspective. They need to give developers time to finish app and submit to app store for review before the new OS 4 is released to the public.

13. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

This ^. I dont think it will be released today, but the week of. If the iPhone is released on a Friday (probably?) then I would think the OS would be released the Tuesday/Wednesday of that week.

14. JoshVB macrumors regular

Not seeing that "We'll be back soon" page as of this very moment when I access the portal.

15. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I have a 3G right now and WILL be upgrading to the new phone - no doubt. However, I just don't see the need to rush to buy it. I'll definitely upgrade to OS 4.0 right away and this should hold me over for a few weeks. It'll be like getting a new phone at first. Then, once I'm bored (in a few weeks), then I'll upgrade and it'll be like getting a new phone again.

I would also like to know Verizon's plans for the iPhone, which we may know by the end of the week.

16. LarzStarz macrumors member

Darn Chrome caching. It looks like it's back up now with no notable changes.

17. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

I'm guessing June 16th - two days before the iPhone releases on June 18th.

Pure speculation, on my part. ;)

18. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

It'll go down today when they release the GM to the developers. I doubt it will be available publicly until a few days before the new phones release as others have stated, simply because developers need to time to submit their compatable apps that take advantage of multitasking.

19. hexonxonx macrumors 601

And then it should also leak to the internet just like it did last year. I was running 3.0 on my 3G a week early last summer.