OS 4 on iPod Touch 3rd Generation

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by intempo808, Apr 10, 2010.

1. intempo808 macrumors regular

I haven't posted on here for years, but I thought I would today seeing as no one has posted their experiences of how 4.0 is on the iPod touch.

I have installed it on my 32GB 3rd Generation iPod touch. I upgraded from 3.1.3 or whatever the last one was.

Installing the new software wasn't to bad, although it failed on the first attempt, so I had to restore it using the OS 4.0 file. This was minor, but still time consuming. Once installed, iTunes took a considerable amount of time to optimise my photos, again, minor.

The OS runs quickly, and Apple have clearly paid attention to detail with factors such as the home screen. When you open up an app from the home screen, the icons move out the way just like they always have, but the background comes forward with the icons and the new glass dock slides down out of view. All the icons have been updated, they look brighter. The animation is fluid and smooth. Refinements have also been made the rotation animation in Safari, which is now very smooth.

Back to the home screen, and folders work great. So far I haven't had them deleted by iTunes when syncing. They work as expected, again, with smooth new animations. I don't have very many apps, so I don't have many folders, but they work great for keeping games and stuff in a nice neat folder.

The music app has been updated. The layout of has changed slightly, and I don't quite think it looks right. I don't like the full stops after the numbers on the albums, but maybe thats just me being picky. I have found a massive bug in the music app, cover flow seems to have arranged my albums in order of Album Name. Also, some of my albums aren't even in there, but are found when browsing the music app out of cover flow. I don't know if this is a common bug or if its something do with my iPod and whether I should consider restoring it.

Wifi is a bit temperamental. It's not very consistent and sometimes the iPod doesn't think it is connected, when actually it is.

Some apps I have don't work very well under 4.0. Facebook (when I first used it in 4.0), didn't want to log me in. Eventually it did log me in and it's worked fine ever since.

Beejive IM is very buggy now. Sometimes it refuses to connect, other times it will connect but then kick me out and then sometimes it works fine. It's hit and miss, but with a bit of persuasion it usually works. It sometimes helps to close the app completely using the multitask panel.

2Do app is also very temperamental. I've had a couple of times that I've opened it and it's let me in and worked fine, other times it opens and kicks me out straight away.

I've tested a couple of game apps, such as NFSU and Super Monkeyball and they all seem to work fine.

Random Features I have found:
    - Airplane Mode is now an option in Settings.
    - Lyric and Podcast Info is now an on/off option in Music under Settings.

Other bugs I have found include:
    - Random black screens when opening up apps (including the music app and Safari)
    - YouTube isn't working for me, don't know how to fix this, but I'm not too bothered right now.
    - iTunes won't back up my iPod when I connect it, not major.
    - Theres a strange bug in Calendar. When I open the app and tap "Calendar" in the top left corner, I'm taken to a page with a option to "Show All Calendars" then a list of Calendars available. Above the list of Calendars is a title that says "ON_MY_DEVICE_TYPE_IPOD".
    - Sometimes I get errors in the App Store, not major.

So, theres a quick insight into OS 4 for the iPod touch.

2. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

Thanks, please keep us updated of any new discoveries.

3. intempo808 thread starter macrumors regular

Some new findings I have found over the last few days include:
    - The game "Worms" doesn't work under 4.0. The game launches and then shows a black screen and crashes.
    - 2Do's only works properly when Wifi is not connected.

I have also restored my iPod to try to see if any of the issues I have experienced have been fixed. The restore was fast and I had no errors.

After resotring:-
    - I still have the cover flow issue. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.
    - Some apps still don't work.
    - The TapTap Revenge Store doesn't work, the app just quits.

I will post more as I find them.

4. Macfisto macrumors member

Playlist folders?

What I would like to know is if, within the 100+ new features but not all mentioned the other day, there are now (finally?) folders for playlists (organized in folders just like in Itunes).

Anyone knows? Other than that, I don’t see why I would upgrade (and take the chance that I have bugs/issues with my Ipod)

5. Gatorsxrule macrumors member

The reasons those apps aren't working is because they aren't 4.0 comparable yet (probably)

6. intempo808 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I've noticed a really common problem of apps crashing when they try to sync data, like 2Do's etc.

Overall, it seems stable and works well, but with a few bugs here and there...

7. oran9edog macrumors newbie

Anyone getting stuck on 'preparing ipod for restore'?

So I have a 32GB, 3rd Generation Ipod Touch.. I am trying to put 4.0 on it by clicking the Option key and the restore button and then finding the file, etc... But when it does the 'restore' it gets stuck on the 'preparing ipod for restore'. It eventually times out and gives me an error 2005.. So my ipod is then non functional and I have to click the regular restore button while it puts what I assume to be 3.1.3 back on it..

I have been re-trying this daily for the past few days to see if I can get it to work, with still no luck..

Any recommendations??

Thanks.

Additional info: I am on OSX Snow Leopard and everything up to date.

:apple: for life

8. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

Do you have your devices UDID registered on an Apple Developer License?

9. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

I always wondered why iPod didn't do that like iTunes. Then, I borrowed my friends "fatboy" iPod nano, and guess what? Organized playlists. Now I'm surprised they haven't brought it to the touch, but I hope they do so, as well.

10. oran9edog macrumors newbie

Yes, I do.

11. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

Will Apple offer OS4 as a free upgrade for people who've recently purchased an iPod Touch? (say within 3 months or so of its release) Or will they charge for it regardless?

12. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

My experience tells me that you're gonna get charged for it regardless.

13. intempo808 thread starter macrumors regular

Today wasn't a good day for my iPod touch. It took a turn for the worse, or 4.0 took a turn for the worse rather...

Today's array of bugs include:
    - Wifi stopped working,
    - Photo app kept crashing on me,
    - When syncing, my folders were deleted, which has never happened before,
    - After syncing, the music app hangs on launch, and I have to reset the device,
    - Wifi is really slow at connecting

So, after my collection of issues, I restored my iPod touch back to 4.0, and it seems to be working alright so far... Cover flow still isn't right though... It's quite annoying because I used to browse my music in Cover flow a lot...

14. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

apple would charge money to upgrade? when did they start doing this? ive never paid for an apple os upgrade ever and i have over 10 ipod/iphone products. and its absolutely disgusting that theyd force me to pay money to upgrade the os when id far rather just be able to jailbreak the ipod instead. ive been buying ipods forever, but given how fast google is catching up im about ready to jump ship if this continues.

15. sharp65 macrumors 6502

They've charged for almost every major ipod touch OS update, not sure where you've been. It's almost guaranteed they will charge for 4.0 as well.

16. breathesrain macrumors regular

Is there a fix for the whole cover flow bug yet? As in, it basically being unusable with album art changing as you flick past it, disappearing, etc?

17. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

my only touch is a 64gb 3g.

18. na1577 macrumors 6502a

There's no use in pointing out bugs in a beta. Regular users won't have these issues when OS 4 is released.

19. Tulipone macrumors 6502

I am wondering if the upgrade to OS4 will be worth it for an iTouch. Not sure that I'd gain much but could possibly loose speed. It irritated me when I had to pay for an upgrade on my 1st gen shortly before it died!

20. intempo808 thread starter macrumors regular

In my opinion, it will be worth it. You get quite a few useful features, like folders etc. and if anything, you might see a speed increase. My iPod seems a lot faster now than it did under 3.1.3 or whatever it was.

21. Tulipone macrumors 6502

Not my experience with older generations and taking the new firmware. I cannot imagine how I would use folders either on an iTouch. Maybe on the iPhone or iPad.

22. agvc79 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!Hope you can helo me!! I do have serious problem with my emails after updating my 32GB 3G Itouch to Os 4. Now writting an email takes forever! And litterally mails take about 1minute to go out!!! I have tried several times To reser the itouch and it don't seems to work. OMG my screen just freezed while writting this post :(

23. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

I think they should of made them compatible before they released it, honestly. I know that would of taken quite a while, but i think it would be better than people not being able to use their ipod apps for some while, or at least a good part of the apps.