OS 8.6 won't open Acrobat--thinks it's PC file

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mamlukman, Nov 6, 2013.

1. mamlukman macrumors newbie

Every 8-10 years I upgrade computers. God I hate this. I've been at it for almost three weeks, each day more frustrating than the next.

The current problem: I want to print about 1,000 pages with my LaserPrinter--but that only works with my beige G3, running OS 8.6. The documents are PDFs. Sounds easy, right? But there wasn't a copy of Acrobat on my G3. When I download older versions (4.0, 5.0.5) that SHOULD work, and DO work on my G4 running 10.4.11, as soon as I try to open them on my G3 it says "what program do you want to open this with?" It thinks Acrobat is a PC text file. What the hell? I can't find anything else to download. And they DO open on the G4. So I can I do this???? Help!!!!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You need to find a version for Classic Mac that is compressed/encoded into a hqx or sit file and decompress it with Stuffit.

3. mamlukman thread starter macrumors newbie

sit file---how to open?

Yes, I found one with .sit. But I couldn't open THAT!!!! How the hell do you open it? It's like a never-ending problem--you can't do A without B, and you can't do B without C, etc. etc. forever. Ideas???

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

5. mamlukman thread starter macrumors newbie

I've got Stuffit 9.0 on another computer, but I haven't used it in a long time.
    When I try to open it, it just flashes. So I guess I'm screwed.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Download StuffIt to the Tiger machine and extract the sit version of Adobe Reader. Then copy it either via the network or my a HFS/HFS+ formatted device to the 8.6 machine. You'll then be able to open and install it.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

OS9 and below and older versions of OS X rely on the resource fork to determine which apps to open files. If the resource fork is stripped out as can commonly result do to file transfers then the Mac does not know how to open the file.

One way around this is to provide the three letter extension of the file. If you add .pdf to the end of the filename then the file should identify with Acrobat.

I think you'll need Stuffit Expander 8 or less for OS 9 and below. Been a while so I may be off on the version.

8. mamlukman thread starter macrumors newbie

can't find Acrobat 5.0 in .sit version

I've been at this over 8 hours now. This is ridiculous. I can find UPGRADES to Acrobat 5.0 in .sit format, but they need the original 5.0. I have searched for hours and hours, and I cannot find a .sit version of 5.0 to upload.

I did solve the Stuffit problem, after a mere hour or two I found a version I could use and downloaded it.

Since I am in the middle of changing over my computers, I don't have access to anything other than my beige G3. Unless of course I spend several hours going back to square one....why is this so hard???

Does anyone know where I can get a .sit version of Acrobat 5.0 for Mac???

----------

In case you're wondering, Adobe offers the UPGRADES to all the versions, but for some unfathomable reasons doesn't let you download the actual reader itself.

9. mamlukman thread starter macrumors newbie

nope

thanks, but that's not it---the "upgrades" search for a 5.0 to upgrade. They don't find it, they quit.

----------

The latest is that I tried to upgrade a non-.sit Reader with the .sit upgrade. so what does it do? It says "A copy of Acrobat to be updated could not be found." And yet I'm looking at it. Logic???

10. mamlukman thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, after 24 hours of futility, it's official. I give up.

I have to say that I have nothing but hatred for Google, bing, ask--you type in "download Adobe Acrobat 5.0 macintosh" and you gets pages and pages of stuff with that in the title, but when you open the page nothing there refers to what you searched for. There are no downloads, or if they are, it's not for 5.0, etc. etc. I went through 15 pages of search results opening each entry....nothing. Unbelievable. Some sites say "download...macintosh.." and then you hit hit "download" a sign comes up and says "windows only". This is just beyond cruel.

I'll repeat an earlier question, why is this so hard???

Thanks to those who tried to help.

11. Swampus, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013

Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

http://download1114.mediafire.com/20cqhm1ktoig/yak8z6cch4ryg68/ar505enu.bin

If that doesn't work, maybe try this:
    http://www.rhapsodyos.org/software/pdf_solutions/acrobat_reader_5.smi.sit

At some point, OS 9.1 became the minimum required, but I forget where. Maybe with 5.1?

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Check your PMs. I sent you a PM.

For Google searches of this nature you need to change your thinking. Copyright products that are sold commercially tend to be hard to find because the companies that make them tend to issue legal take down notices or notices of intent to sue to websites providing copyrighted software. Acrobat 5.0 is one of those products.

13. CptSky macrumors regular