Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pipian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2003
As soon as I log into OS 8, the Mouse stops moving and it crashes.. It might work for 2 seconds, but it invariably happens... What can I do besides holding down shift at startup?

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
Re: OS 8 Crashes?

Originally posted by Pipian
As soon as I log into OS 8, the Mouse stops moving and it crashes.. It might work for 2 seconds, but it invariably happens... What can I do besides holding down shift at startup?

Are you saying that it doesn't crash when you hold down shift at startup? If so, then it is an extension conflict. Disable all 3rd party extensions and control panels and see if that fixes it. If it does, then try various configurations until you find the source of the problem.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Have you rebuilt the desktop file? Hold down command-option as the desktop appears, and click "ok". That may do the trick.

paul

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Have you tried booting from the OS 8 system CD? If so, you can always reinstall the system (backup your Preferences folder first if you want), no?

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
Are you able to boot from the OS 8 CD? If so, try running the disk diagnostic programs (I forget what they're called) and see what they say. Also try booting from external disks or other diagnostic CDs if you have any.

Pipian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2003
-_- I have a G4, I'm just trying to get the Powermac to work... Ah well.. I'll just have to find OS 9 somewhere around here...

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
I don't think OS 8 will even work on a G4. If I recall correctly you need minimum of OS 9, with some newer systems needing OS X.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Re: OS 8 Crashes?

Originally posted by Pipian
The oldest version of the MacOS capable of booting a Power Mac G4 is MacOS 8.5.1. If you are not using the CD that shipped with your computer, then you should look up your computer on the Apple History website to see if your OS can boot our computer.

Pipian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2003
No, I was referring to the Power macintosh 5200 that i have...

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
You could have a memory module that went bad on you. See if you can boot from a CD. I would use something like Norton Utilities and test the hard drive and see if there are any corrupt system files. I would see if you can put a fresh copy of Mac OS 8 on there.

If your looking to put OS 9 on a PM5200 I would make sure you have enough RAM to support that. I personally wouldn't put anything more then Mac OS 8.6 on a PowerMac 5200. I believe they only have a 75 MHz processor so that would run a little on the slow side as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.