OS 9.1 password bypass

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SirFoxx, Nov 28, 2013.

1. SirFoxx, Nov 28, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2013

SirFoxx macrumors regular

SirFoxx

edit: welp the wrong one got deleted so here it goes again--

A friend recently gave me a beige g3 that came from a school district that she works for, more specifically it came from a school that was closed down in that district. Anyways, I brought the computer home and turned it on to find out it was locked and had two separate accounts on it. I've read that you can make a bootable disk either out of the OS 9 install or a utilities program such as techtool, but I don't have either of those. You then boot up onto one of these disks and go into the hard drive system folder and delete a .preference file(?). Has anyone had to do this before on any of your macs? and how did you do it? I do happen to have a mac laptop and an IDE-USB bay I can use to navigate the hard drive.

2. SirFoxx thread starter macrumors regular

SirFoxx

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Creating a bootable classic OS disc from a system install on another hard drive isn't really that easy. That Mac will boot clear back to OS 8.0 so if you can get your hands on ANY disc from 8 on, you would be much better off. As far as whether or not deleting that prefs file works, I've never had to try it. The soonest I'd be able to try it out would be a couple days, as I don't have any of my legacy Macs handy right now.