OS 9.2.2 *and* Tiger - how?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by glossywhite, Feb 28, 2009.

1. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Hi all!. Firstly... _I__LOVE___MACS_______I_CAN'T__BEAR__TO__BIN__THEM!!....

okay, now that's out of my system...

I have a REV1 Blue & White G3, 300Mhz, 512Mb with 40Gb IDE drive + DVD combo drive. Here is what I have achieved so far:

1 [X] Installed 9.2.2 fine
    2 [X] Tiger DVD booted fine, and is now installing
    3 [?] How do I set my system up so I can boot 9.2.2 (NOT in classic, through Tiger!) *and* boot Tiger too?. Do I need to partition?.

Please don't ask me "why do you want 9.2.2" as that is irrelevant; the fact is that I need BOTH. Any help gratefully received - thanks folks!.

PS: I have an eMac with Tiger on one partition - can I just clone that to one partition of the B+W's drive, or would that not work?.

2. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

My experience with OS 9 are purely through SheepShaver (went from a 68K machine straight to Intel with a 10 year layoff from Apple, bypassing PPC) so there may be other ways to do it, but having two partitions to choose from when booting seems like the cleanest way.

How was Tiger installed on the eMac? Was it a full version install or an install from the system disks that came with the eMac? If the latter, it won't work. If it was the former it might (although then you could just use the install disk directly on the G3 if you haven't lost it).

3. Dave H macrumors 6502

Dave H

In Tiger, go to Apple Menu -> System Preferences, and change the "Startup Disk" setting to OS 9 or Tiger as needed.

In OS 9, go to Apple Menu -> Control Panels -> Startup Disk to select Tiger or OS 9 as needed.

Tiger and OS 9 can be on the same partition safely.

4. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Well considering that the ONLY way to get Tiger on PowerPc Macs is with a retail DVD (PowerPc only - Tiger retail isn't installable on Intel, as *ALL* pre-Leopard Intel Macs came with Tiger pre-installed, and were only restorable with the restore DVDs with which they were supplied!) then that is how I got it on there. However, I seem to get a feeling that when installing PowerPc Tiger on a G3 *immediately* on top of 9.2.2, it just leaves the 9.2.2 system folder on there, so I can boot both; just recalled that :).

Any comments?

5. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Thanks so much, Dave. :)

6. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Correct. They co-exist easily. There's no good reason for having separate partitions.