OS 9.2.2 Still Useful?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by 76ShovelHead, May 30, 2010.

1. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

May 30, 2010
    What Uses does Operating System 9 Serve us in Twenty Ten? Other than our Nostalgic sides:rolleyes:
  2. MacTech68, May 30, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68020

Mar 16, 2008
    Australia, Perth
    A webcam box for a USB webcam that has no OS X drivers.

And probably others I can't think of right now.

Really it depends on:

1. the hardware you own

2. the amount of $$$ you want to spend.

Could my webcam run on OS X? Sure it could. Would I need to buy a new camera? YES. Would that cost me money? YES. Can I run it on OS 9 for ZERO $$$? Yup! So for me, in this instance, OS9 wins.

3. thebez macrumors regular

Oct 15, 2008
    Edit: I forgot to mention that there is a new OS 9 web browser in the works. It is called Classilla, and you can find out all about it at the following link:

OS 9 runs like a speed demon on boxes where any version of OS X is a dog, Just don't expect to do a lot of multitasking.

If you want to see a really fast machine, take a beige G3, drop in a 450mhz G3 from a blue & white, set the clock jumpers to 466mhz, install 256-512 megs of ram, throw in a fast HD, make a 7 gig partition on the beginning of the drive, and install OS 8.1 on it.

"Hey, did that old box just go from happy mac to full desktop in 5 seconds?"
    "Why yes, yes it did."

Heck, I'm still trying to find an original OS CD for my Bondi iMac. Oh yeah - 100ish megs of lean, mean 8.1 goodness.
  4. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

Aug 7, 2008
    Over there....
    sure os9 is still useful, especially if you only want to do things like browse the net, i was posting on the fourms yesterday with my 350mhz imac (not the one in my sig) with os 9.1
  5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Jul 25, 2008
    Central US
    Lots of old games and software work great under OS 9. Web browsing is a little rough as most websites back then were pretty simple HTML based pages, so java, flash, and other plugins aren't up to date. OS 9 really does fly on older hardware, so early G3 and PPC systems that can't really handle OSX really benefit from running OS 9.
  6. coupdetat macrumors 6502

Jul 11, 2008
    I still use 9.2.2 all the time for typing papers in LaTeX and Word 2001 on my 600mhz Snow iMac. It's fast and I love the interface.
    I can still play CIV II under OS 9 on my quicksilver tower.

My Black Macbook can not play CIV II!

My Quadcore Intel I7 can not play CIV II!

I also run some vintage audio apps under OS 9 once in a blue moon. I'm on OS X 99% of the time, but every once in a while, there is a use for certain things on my old OS 9 machine, a machine that's still running as great as the day I got it.
  8. MikhailT macrumors 601

Nov 12, 2007
    If you're smart about it, you should do a full feature on it, review, videos and so on. Get hits for nostalgia reasons.