OS 9.2 Freezes on start up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GetYerShells, Jan 19, 2009.

1. GetYerShells macrumors newbie

Hello, I am new to this forum. I am using a 1Ghz G4 Powerbook, 15" screen. I am running mac OS 10.4.4 I recently tried to switch my startup disk to Classic mode OS 9.2 so I could play some of my older computer games. I started my computer up using classic mode and it froze in the startup screen. It gets past the hard disk check and freezes in the welcome to Mac OS 9.2 screen.

It's been a long time since I have tried to restart in classic mode. I never had this problem before when attempting this. Any ideas what could cause this? Since I can't get past the startup screen in classic I can't get to the system preferences to change my startup disk back to OS X. I'm stuck...any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Why are you running 10.4.4? The latest patch is 10.4.11.

You can manually select a boot disk/partition by holding the option key on startup.

And welcome. ;)

3. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

If you hold shift while booting OS 9 it won't load extensions. Give that a shot. (i think it was shift its been awhile)

4. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

[1] Generally this will be caused by an extension conflict. To start without extensions hold down shift when booting. (as trainguy77 said)

If this fixes it (temporarily), then you have an extension conflict.

If you want to play games, you'll need to fix this, otherwise openGL for one won't work in OS 9 w/o extensions or most controllers.

To fix this, you will need to go to the extension manager in OS 9 and revert to a saved set of extensions. Or you will have add each 3rd pary extension one-by-one and restart each time until the crash occurs again.

This is why Apple needed to move to Mac OS X.

[2] If that fails then disconnect every single piece of hardware attached to your Macintosh before booting OS 9.

Hold down the option (alt) key at startup, you'll get an icon for each disk.

Use the arrow keys to pick your OS X disk and hit enter.

You can also put in a OS 9 or OS X startup CD and hold down C at startup.

This will boot the computer from the CD. Both the OS 9 and OS X CDs have a startup disk control panel included from there you can choose your OS X disk. (as BlueRevolution said)

5. Fishtalk macrumors regular

You can open classic when your OSX is running... just like any other app.
    I do it all the time. (G3 os 1O.3.9 + Classic app.) or just open a 9.2 app. and the classic will open automatiaclly