OS 9 Emulation problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Albal, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Albal macrumors member

Hi all,

Right, I managed to get OS 9 working on my UMBP after sever efforts and searching a hell of a lot on the google and that. I want to be able to play Simtower!

OS 9 is working great, and it is a fully functional OS 9 as far as I am aware.

The problem is, I can install anything on the OS and I can't work out why. I've never used OS9 before but it certainly isn't as simple as OSX!

Any help would be appreciated.

When trying to install/open anything I get this:

[​IMG]

Cheers for any suggestions.

Oh, one last thing - I can't find the applications folder on OS 9. Am I being thick or isn't there one or what?!

Thanks!

2. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

3. Albal thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that, but the problem is I dont have the first idea how you do that!

Ideas?

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The issue is that your applications are being seen as documents not applications, hence the error message about not being able to find the application that created the document.

A quick search on Google turned up a possible solution, which is to burn the application to a CD from within OS X, and then copy it from the CD to your OS 9 system within the OS 9 environment.

Hope this helps!

5. Albal thread starter macrumors member

Okay I understand that.

Surely OS9 thinking everything is file is just a simple setting or code to change somewhere?

I'm not 100% sure if the CD rom drive works in the emulator. I'll have a scour around and see if I can find answer.

Thanks.

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

You can use resedit within OS 9 to flag the file as an application, but you need to get resedit on to the OS 9 machine first (bit of a catch-22 situation!).

7. Albal thread starter macrumors member

I nearly got it to work on my other computer (PB G4) only to have this error pop up:

"There is not enough memory to open 'Simtower'. (zero K needed, 234,444 available)"

I just checked out another forum and it appears, even if I get this thing working I probably wont be able to play the damn game anyhow because:

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5616

How frustrating!

8. Queso macrumors G4

Sheepshaver will happily share the host Mac's networking. If you can find resedit on a website that will correctly render in IE for Mac you should be able to download it straight into the emulated OS.

9. Albal thread starter macrumors member

Well,

I managed to find a CD, and thought what the heck let's just give it a go and it worked!

I am so stoked. Thanks a million Queso and Phil A - what stars.

I wish I was more computer savvy!

[​IMG]

10. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 32GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A280f Safari/525.20)

You're welcome. Glad it helped!