OS 9 Install on TiBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bunnspecial, Oct 30, 2014.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I know there has been some discussion here lately about installing OS 9 on later-generation TiBooks in the absence the TiBook-specific OS 9.2.2 disk.

I have a last generation 867mhz TiBook, and have struggled for a while with getting a fully-functional OS 9 install on it-specifically getting the sound to work, and getting the display to work at anything other than the native resolution and color settings.

I've just spent the evening playing with it, and managed to put together what seems to be a stable, workable, and fully featured OS 9 install.

Although(as I mentioned), I didn't have the disks original to the TiBook, I did have a set of restore disks from a later Powerbook, specifically a last generation "DLSD" Powerbook. The second of these two disks contains a package that installs an OS 9 system folder to the hard drive intended for Classic mode.

I booted my TiBook in target disk mode, connected it to my DLSD, and put the 9.2.2 restore disk in the DLSD. I then ran the installer, and selected the hard drive of my TiBook as the destination folder.

Once the installer had completed its work, I was able to boot the TiBook into OS 9. The sound and display worked correctly, but the DLSD OS 9 install included no support for the Airport card(presumably since it was only intended for use in Classic mode). I spent a while hunting for a copy of Airport 2.0 on the Apple's website and elsewhere on the internet, but was unsuccessful in locating it.

So, to get the Airport card working, I resorted to the "brute force" method of dragging and dropping files from another computer. I used my iBook G3, but would assume that pretty much any other computer running OS 9.2.2 and with an Airport card(or capable of taking an Airport card) could probably be used as a source.

In any case, I copied all of the following:

From System Folder/Extensions, the Airport extension
    From Applications(OS 9)/Apple Extras, the entire Airport folder
    From System Folder/Control Strip Plugins, the Airport plug-in

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I've got a grey OS9 CD that came with my recently acquired TiBook 667. It's part of a pack from from a PowerMac G4, not sure which model. The restore CDs don't work, but the OS 9 installed fine onto a clean drive. Can't recall the exact version number, but it's at least 9.2.

I can make an image of it, if it's any good to you?

BTW if anyone knows where I can get the correct restore discs it would be appreciated...

3. ptdebate macrumors 6502

ptdebate

I think he needs the restore disc that came with the very last TiBook models. I think I may have the one you need, OP. I'll look for it tonight and see if I can go about uploading it.