OS 9 Network Install?

andypress

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2003
Buffalo, NY
I'm trying to install OS 9.1 on one of my 6100's that doesnt have a cdrom drive. I've heard that you can do a network install. I also have an iMac running panther if that helps.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
andypress said:
I'm trying to install OS 9.1 on one of my 6100's that doesnt have a cdrom drive. I've heard that you can do a network install. I also have an iMac running panther if that helps.
I believe you can only install 9.0, not 9.1 onto a 6100. I believe its incompatable.

But if I take a guess, if there is an ability to choose a start up disk, that is if there is an OS already on the Mac, then you could possibly pick a Network drive to start from.

Comment

andypress

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2003
Buffalo, NY
varmit said:
I believe you can only install 9.0, not 9.1 onto a 6100. I believe its incompatable.
You can install 9.1 as long as you have the full installer, not the update.

Comment

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
varmit said:

Before making a comment like this again, check this web site. Among the info available is the minimum and maximum versions of the MacOS/MacOS X that supports each model.

Comment

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
I know that you can do a network startup, but I think you might need the server version of OS X or OS 9 to do that.

Have you tried Apple's kbase or Google yet? I'm pretty sure you can...

Comment

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
MisterMe said:
Yes or no? The bottomline is that the PowerMac 6100 can run MacOS 9.1.
It would be nice if he actually read the link you provided.

Comment

andypress

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2003
Buffalo, NY
superbovine said:
It would be nice if he actually read the link you provided.
The question that I'm asking is if you can network install- not whether it supoorts it. I know that it supports 9.1 .

Comment

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
andypress said:
The question that I'm asking is if you can network install- not whether it supoorts it. I know that it supports 9.1 .
Of course it can be network installed. Why would you think otherwise?

Comment

andypress

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2003
Buffalo, NY
MisterMe said:
Of course it can be network installed. Why would you think otherwise?
Because nowhere on google nor apples site does it talk about installing 9.1 via a network. I'm looking for information in how to install over a network if its possible.

Comment

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Mechcozmo said:
You now have information contained in this linkety!
You link is off point. It is about MacOS X 10.2 and Windows XP/XP Home. It makes no mention of MacOS 9.1 which is at issue here.

Comment