OS 9 on a Powerbook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by sk3pt1c, Jul 21, 2008.

1. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

hi there, i have a Powerbook (the last revision Apple released) and i have Leopard 10.5.4 running on it right now...

since i got a Macbook Pro though (waiting for delivery) i posted an ad to sell my powerbook on a site here in Greece.
    a dude called to say he's interested but was wondering if he can format it and install OS 9 since he's running ArchiCAD 7 on OS 9 now and thinks it won't run at all or at least not that well on Tiger or Leopard.

hence the question, can it be done?
    or is there a hardware limitation somewhere or something?
    is it as simple as sticking the OS 9 disk in the powerbook and going through the install process as usual?

this is a bit urgent so i'd appreciate a hasty reply, thank you!

if you can point me to some documentation that'd be awesome, just to put his and my mind at ease! :)

thanks again!

2. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

No it should not base on what you are saying to me. The last powerbook to boot OS 9 in dual boot would the TiBook 1Ghz/867Mhz 15" released in November 2002. I know this because I own the 1Ghz. 17" could NEVER boot into OS 9.

3. Yoursh macrumors 6502

The previous post is correct. You can only boot OS9 on the early G4 Powerbooks. Afterwards you could only run 'Classic mode'(OS9 emulation) under OSX to run older Apps. The buyer may be able to run his application that way but I'm unfamilar with that specific software.

Edit: Classic mode only available in 10.4 and earlier.

4. spgiva macrumors regular

spgiva

You can not boot up in OS 9 on the powerbook (I also have the last powerbook revision released) but you can install OS9 and run classic applications while booted in OSX (this was the last laptop model able to run classic applications). I still occasionally open old Quark 4 documents in classic on my computer. I do not know the specific applications that you refer to. Programs do not allways run perfectly running them through classic though.

5. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

coolio, thank you guys!
    and a special thanks for the speedy replies! :)