os 9 what can i delete

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by landlover, Jan 23, 2008.

1. landlover macrumors newbie

Hi, have OS 10.4.11 but what can I delete of os 9 on this emac? What has to be left alone and what can I delete? Is it all tied together?

Thanks
    Damon

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

3. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Depend how your using OS 9. But its very modular for the most part. unlike OS X it can be "edited" by hand alot easier. I used to play around with this. Making my goal to make the smallest possible boot disk so seeing what i can delete and still have it run. Its surprising! Mind you that was when i was 12....

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

What samh004 is getting at is that if you don't have any Classic applications you use, you can delete everything--OSX doesn't require Classic to be around to operate properly (heck, it's officially dead as of Leopard anyway).

If you actually do need/want Classic because of some old application, there are theoretically a few things you can get rid of, but frankly it's probably not worth it--the handful of extensions you can disable aren't likely to add up to much more than a few megabytes of disk space and probably won't make an appreciable difference in performance.

[Edit: Or you can go with trainguy77's theory (posted while I was typing my own), and find out just how much you can delete and still have it work. I used to do this years ago as well, but that was back when I was running a 250Mhz computer with a whopping 48MB of RAM.]

5. landlover thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Hi, thank you, just going to leave it the way it is, not worth it.

Thanks
    Damon

6. seablue macrumors regular

When I upgraded my software last year to 10.4.11, it also bugged me at first to have os 9 sitting there. I ended up just leaving it there. As far as I know, it doesn't do anything and I don't use any of the files but I'm not 100% sure - so it sits there still.

7. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

actually, i would encourage you to make use of the many freeware games out for os 9 that can be run via classic. They're really fun and best of all FREE!