Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

landlover

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hi, have OS 10.4.11 but what can I delete of os 9 on this emac? What has to be left alone and what can I delete? Is it all tied together?

Thanks
Damon

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Depend how your using OS 9. But its very modular for the most part. unlike OS X it can be "edited" by hand alot easier. I used to play around with this. Making my goal to make the smallest possible boot disk so seeing what i can delete and still have it run. Its surprising! Mind you that was when i was 12....

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
What samh004 is getting at is that if you don't have any Classic applications you use, you can delete everything--OSX doesn't require Classic to be around to operate properly (heck, it's officially dead as of Leopard anyway).

If you actually do need/want Classic because of some old application, there are theoretically a few things you can get rid of, but frankly it's probably not worth it--the handful of extensions you can disable aren't likely to add up to much more than a few megabytes of disk space and probably won't make an appreciable difference in performance.

[Edit: Or you can go with trainguy77's theory (posted while I was typing my own), and find out just how much you can delete and still have it work. I used to do this years ago as well, but that was back when I was running a 250Mhz computer with a whopping 48MB of RAM.]

seablue

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2007
Hi, thank you, just going to leave it the way it is, not worth it.

Thanks
Damon
When I upgraded my software last year to 10.4.11, it also bugged me at first to have os 9 sitting there. I ended up just leaving it there. As far as I know, it doesn't do anything and I don't use any of the files but I'm not 100% sure - so it sits there still.

CRAZYBUBBA

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Toronto/Houston
actually, i would encourage you to make use of the many freeware games out for os 9 that can be run via classic. They're really fun and best of all FREE!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.