OS 9 wont connect to secure wifi network

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by likemyorbs, Mar 21, 2009.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

i tried posting this in the iMac forum because an imac g3 is the computer in question but i got no responses. i have an imac with os 9 and i cant get it to connect to my wifi network when its locked, when i remove the password is works just fine. how can this be fixed?

2. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

OS 9 does not support connection to a WPA secured WiFi network.

3. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

well that would explain it. is there a way around this? what kind of encryption does it support?

4. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

I've never had any luck with 128 bit WEP either, I suspect it's incompatible too. 40 bit WEP works fine. Personally I have a secondary WiFi network that is unsecured, I only turn it on when using my classic Macs and for guest access, none of my everyday Macs are connected to this network for security.

5. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

i may just have to try that, thanks!

6. MacTech68, Mar 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

If you're using an original Apple Airport card, check the label on it. Near the bottom if it supports 128bit WEP you should see the marking "128 Bit". Otherwise, AFAIK, it's a 40bit card. This only applies to the original cards. All Airport Extreme cards support 128bit.

The other thing that might help is converting the password to Hex and trying that, or if you're using the HEX version, try ASCII version of your password. If your base-station/access point supports it (and I'm yet to see one that doesn't), use MAC address lists to only allow that AirPort card access.

The other thing that might help is (if you can find the setting) using "short preamble" setting in the wireless setup on your base-station.

EDIT: Apparently, the original Apple 40bit AirPort cards are updated automatically to 128bit with AirPort Software 2.0.4 under OS9

________
    iolite vaporizer

7. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

weird, when i try wep, it lets me connect to the network but the internet wont work

8. MacTech68, Mar 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Check that your TCP/IP Control Panel in OS 9 is set to "Connect Via: Airport" and is getting a valid DHCP setup on your local network.

:)
    ________
    Honda VT600C specifications