OS 9.x Install Disc Needed for Classroom

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by SixPants, Apr 7, 2011.

1. SixPants macrumors newbie

I salvaged 4 of the 1st generation iMacs from a storage closet. Unfortunately the RAM is so abysmal that I can't begin to install OS X.

I can't find OS 9.x install discs for a reasonable price. They're all a fortune.

If anyone can help me acquire, borrow, copy, torrent, whatever a version of this OS we (my students and I) would appreciate it.

Of course, you're asking, "What the heck will students do with these relics?" We have kids with multiple disabilities. We're running some VERY basic software, games, etc. So these iMacs will provide basic functionality needed.

Cheers,
    Brian

2. iLucas macrumors 6502

3rd cd down might be what you're looking on this site

3. SixPants thread starter macrumors newbie

You know, after 16 years on the Internet you'd think I'd know how to find ***** by now.

Thanks much. No idea why I only looked on eBay and Craigslist.

If only they made a website where I could search a whole BUNCH of websites at once. Hmmmmmmmm......

4. finkmacunix macrumors regular

You find a copy on Macintosh Garden and burn it to a cd!

5. iLucas macrumors 6502

No problem.

I use the deals section on Lowendmac to find what im looking for if i cannot find it on ebay/craigslist

6. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Question, what is this machine running right now. its important because if it really is a first generation iMac, it needs to have had the firmware update 1.2 installed first. If you don't do that, OS 9 won't install. if its been running 8.6 or higher, it should be fine. This applies to all tray loading iMacs.

If its a slot loader, you don't have to worry about it.

7. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

i've got one for you, but mine is version '9.0.4' instead of '9.2.2' like the link above. also have the matching 'Software Restore' disc, and an 'iMac Applications' disc also stamped 2002, but looks to be later as it's a lighter shade of gray. i know that i used the disc to install 9.0.4 on a b&w g3, so this should work for you.

i've no use for them, if you want them, pm you mailing address and i'll slap a couple stamps on them and send them on. best of luck with the restore project.

8. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Those should suit the OP fine, since 9.1, 9.2, 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 are all free downloads from Apple (And the 9.0.4 Disc would also probably work to some degree on early Slot-Loading iMacs (Up to and including Summer 2000) as well should the OP happen across any of those). The iMac Applications disc will be for 9.2.2 and X, however may work (It should have iMovie 2 for OS 9 on it if its the same disc I have - mine is from a G4/700 15" iMac, dated 2002 with iLife 3 for X and iMovie 2 for OS 9 on it), but it probably shipped with a G4 iMac, and if it has iDVD on it, that wont work (as well as all the X-Gubbins on those discs).