OS 9

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
New York
Would anyone be willing to give me a copy of OS 9 for an old 266 iMac (the colored one) for free? I'm trying to restore this thing for my friend and she doesn't have restore cd's/install cd's because she got it from a guy who was throwing it away and he didn't have any cd's for her. Anyone willing to help? I know atleast 1 person here has no use for their OS 9 cd anymore. Please, give me a hand.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
JzzTrump22 said:
Would anyone be willing to give me a copy of OS 9 for an old 266 iMac (the colored one) for free? I'm trying to restore this thing for my friend and she doesn't have restore cd's/install cd's because she got it from a guy who was throwing it away and he didn't have any cd's for her. Anyone willing to help? I know atleast 1 person here has no use for their OS 9 cd anymore. Please, give me a hand.
did the machine already have OS9 on it. If not, OS 9 won't install unless firmawre update 1,2 has been applied already. That machine actually came with OS 8.5 (maybe 8.5.1). a retail 8.6 CD would install on that machine just fine.

If I had an extra OS 9 Cd to give you I would. I gave my extra away a long time ago though. If you don't get any offers, you can find sometimes find the orange install and restore disks on ebay.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
New York
I was planning adding a bigger hd or external for more storage and more ram. She really wants panther on it but i know it just won't run well.

earthtoandy

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2003
JzzTrump22 said:
I was planning adding a bigger hd or external for more storage and more ram. She really wants panther on it but i know it just won't run well.
it will probably run better. my 233 imac runs better with panther than it did with 9. But i have 192mb of ram in it

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
New York
earthtoandy said:
it will probably run better. my 233 imac runs better with panther than it did with 9. But i have 192mb of ram in it
Are you serious? I'm definately going to add more ram. Atleast another 128. Should i just go with an external hard drive instead of putting a new hard drive inside? that way i don' have to deal with formatting the new bigger hd, everything will just go to the external? Unless Panther won't fit on the 4 gig hard drive already installed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.