OS advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ntsapp3, Sep 27, 2006.

  1. ntsapp3, Sep 27, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor


    Staff Member

    Jan 20, 2005
    Lots of people are running Vista betas on MacBooks and MacBook Pros right now. Vista will support both 32-bit and 64-bit chips. In fact, Vista Starter Edition will ONLY run in 32-bit mode.
  3. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

    May 26, 2006
    Vista will not be 64 bit only, it will fully support 32 bit processors. I do not believe you are waiting for the right reasons, 64 bits still needs many years to mature and it's capabilities are just overhyped at this point.
  4. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

    Jul 27, 2006

    I would probably say that the software world will become 64 bit centered right around the time you will be ready to replace your 32 bit MBP, especially if you are doing graphics work.

    I would say that the software world will become exclusively 64 bit a while after your 32 bit MBP becomes a door stop.

    Would others agree?
  5. extraextra macrumors 68000


    Jun 29, 2006

    You've been waiting since Feb. 2005... might as well wait forever at the rate you're going!
  6. ntsapp3, Sep 29, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012

    ntsapp3 thread starter macrumors member

    Apr 11, 2006
  7. pianoman macrumors 68000


    May 31, 2006
    I didn't even know there were going to be MBPs in February 2005! I had just received my Mac mini!
  8. miles01110 macrumors Core


    Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    I was in your situation when I was deciding to buy a MBP in August. After WWDC I said screw it, I'm not going to wait any longer. My MBP is going to be serving me well for many years, unless I suddenly fall into a large amount of money ;-)
  9. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a


    Sep 4, 2006
  10. solvs macrumors 603


    Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    If you can continue to use what you're currently using for the next month or 2, if you can wait, then wait. On the other hand, except for a few little upgrades, the next version probably won't be that big of a deal. I think most of the issues with the MacBooks and MB Pros, so you could always just buy a cheap one or a refurb or something, then sell it and upgrade to the new model. I think the new MBs will be out before Vista's official, and I have a feeling you'll be kicking yourself if you buy now, so give it a few weeks.

    Vista will run on any Intel Mac, but whether it will run well or not is not is another matter.

Share This Page