OS Aesthetics: iOS 4 iPhone vs. iOS 3.2 iPad

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMaFanboy, Jun 26, 2010.

1. iMaFanboy macrumors newbie

Prior to purchasing the iPhone 4 -I logged a bunch of time behind the wheel of the iPad. The aesthetics of iOS 3.2 fall in line with the grey tones and clean lines of Apple's new industrial design and the "feel" of Snow Leopard.

The iPhone's iOS4 doesn't embrace this design language and it seems a little off to me based on the direction in which Apple appears to be moving. Its still blue-tones and pinstripes vs. clean grey/black lines. If you need an example of what I'm talking about just look at the settings of the iPad vs. the iPhone - screen real estate aside, they are pretty different.

After the tweaks and mods made to iOS3 for the iPad, iOS4 on the iPhone feels a bit dated.

Anyone else agree?

2. iMaFanboy thread starter macrumors newbie

I've attached pics...

It may not be a thread about reception...but just something to think about.

Attached Files:

3. ventro macrumors 6502a

Yes I agree, I assumed 4.0 would bring the iOS UI in with what was developed on the iPad, specifically getting rid of the pinstripe backgrounds.

4. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The pinstripes certainly hark back to the earlier versions of OSX.

5. iMaFanboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Dont get me wrong, I'm entirely impressed with the iPhone 4 - (even after owning the last 3 iPhones and a wildly overclocked Droid running Android 2.2 as my corporate phone) ... I'm just kinda surprised by the lack of homogeneity across platforms. Feels very unApplelike. Especially when they typically have such clear and consistent vision in their design language.

6. ventro macrumors 6502a

Actually Apple has never been consistent across their UI. They are constantly trying new things and seeing what sticks. I think its good, because if they suddenly tried to be consistent, they would be too scared to change anything for fear of losing consistency and having to redesign everything. By keeping everything slightly different, each app/device gets its own identity while still retaining functional similarity, and they can gradually evolve the look of their UI.