OS and upgrades : Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lschultz777, Nov 12, 2014.

1. lschultz777 macrumors member

I have 2 questions about my Macbook Pro.

1. I have Mac OS X 10.5.8. My internet is very slow and I did all the disk/ maintenence stuff. I want to try Firefox and see if that makes a difference. But it needs 10.6 Mac OS. There are several different upgrades 10.6, 10.7, 10.8 Which one would you recommend?

2. The second thing, my laptop is getting old. 6-8 yrs old. My processor is 2.2 and memory is 2 gb. Should I look into increasing my memory or don't bother and just get another laptop?

Lisa

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

If you have the mac app store then I think lion 10.7 is the newest your mac will accept. It's an old laptop that is low specced and is just struggling with all the stuff on todays internet I don't think firefox will help.
    An SSD upgrade and double the RAM (if that model will accept it) will help but with a laptop that age you could be throwing money into something that will pack up anyway.
    To be honest I would just put the money towards a new mac maybe a macbook air, you have had damn good service out of this one and it's probably time it was put out to pasture.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Just get a brand new MBP. Your MacBook's pretty ancient already.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

The app store can only be reached with OS X 10.6 or more, so the OP cannot go out and buy Lion on it.

OP: If your machine is on Leopard (10.5), then it is at least a 2008 model, perhaps even older. An OS or browser update will do nothing for performance, by today's standard, your computer is simply ancient.

You could perhaps chuck a bit more RAM in there to help it out, but that's the extent of it. A SSD will help some, but not much since it likely only has SATA I.