OS Degradation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Woodland, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Woodland macrumors newbie

Last June I purchased a MacBook Pro from the Apple store. When I got the computer up and running I installed firefox, live messenger, yahoo messenger, steam with assorted games, and of course ran any necessary software updates. A few months later I installed a genuine copy of Windows 7 through bootcamp and installed the windows drivers from the OSX cd.

The computer ran flawlessly up until about two weeks ago, at which point the computer suddenly and abruptly locked up, to the point where a forced shut down was the only option. After shutting down it became impossible to boot either Windows or Mac OS. At the time I didn't pay much attention to it because I was planning to reformat that week anyway and already created backups of my files.

I booted from my Mac OS installation cd, ran the disc utility, erased the drive and performed a zero-pass, then proceeded to install Mac OS. After installing the OS I performed a software update, then installed firefox, live messenger, and yahoo again, then went on to install Windows 7 as mentioned before. I installed my copy of Portal 2 on the windows side and had it running without any lag or notable errors on maximum graphic settings that same day.

The next day I started to see minor slow downs, which developed into minor lockups, and then severe lockups, until eventually a forced shut down was the only option. When attempting to boot on the windows side I received an error stating that the disc was corrupt and unreadable. After running a chkdsk and startup repair I manages to get the system back to the minor lockup stage, but the next time I was required to force shut down the system was completely unrepairable. At this point the Mac OS side was still working.
    I then ran a Mac hardware test in both normal and performance modes and picked up nothing so I figured it was likely a problem with Windows.

So I formatted and installed Mac OS as mentioned but didn't install Windows or create any separate partitions. After a few days I began to experience the same symptoms in the same order, with the exception that I never lost the ability to boot, it just booted straight into a locked up state, which leads me to believe it's hardware failure. At this point I'm no longer able to run a hardware test, the computer skips the hardware test and goes straight into a normal boot, with or without the Mac OS cd in the optical drive.

If I format the computer I can install power intensive games and have them run perfectly the day of formatting without error, but the next day the system begins to slow down down and eventually lockup. Shutting down seems to be a large factor but if I just leave the computer on it happens eventually regardless. I should also note that I always shut down properly unless forced to do so otherwise by a lockup.

As an added note, I'm formatting the hard drive with "Mac OS Extened (Journaled)", I have no idea what this means so I have no idea if it's an issue. I noticed a giant "Enable Journaling" button in the disc utility and I don't know if it's enabled or if it even matters. You tell me.

At this point I'm confident it's either harddrive or ram failure, but I'd like a second opinion on it

I'll include my system specs below:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5 (More specifically i5-540M)
    Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
    Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0C
    SMC Version (system): 1.58f16

I've also noticed that the activity monitor shows for independent cores but profiler lists only 2 independent cores, it would be nice if someone could explain that to me

2. duffer6 macrumors 6502

I bet you Hard drive is dying. Run a bad sector test. If it comes up with errors replace the drive.

3. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

well on that last line, i can say that's completely normal. its because there are 2 cores and each one has 2 "virtual cores" called threads... my first guess was also a dying hard drive. Are your backups bootable, where you could see how they run straight off the external?

4. Woodland thread starter macrumors newbie

Verify Disk and Verify permissions both came up with nothing, that being said I haven't experienced any of the symptoms as of yet so I'll try again in the minor lockups phase.

Also, the internal temperatures are all normal, the fans are working, and the battery is fully charged and plugged in. So it can't be a heat or power issue

5. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

im confused as to what you are quoting... can you boot from your backup?

6. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

You say you bought it last june, so since it's 30/6 your 1year warranty is probably over. If you have applecare (even if you don't) bring your MBP to the apple store and have it checked out.
    Oh and bring it when it has those lockups, not when it runs normally ;)