OS from Apple App Store

chubbles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Hey folks could you give some help to a geekless?:rolleyes:

Now that Apple's OS is a download instead of a disk, does that mean that the OS does not transfer when the computer is sold? Would the new owner continue to receive OS updates? I think it boils down to, is the OS "tied" to the Apple ID or the the computer's mac address.

Yes you guessed it. I'm buying my second used Mac!

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Chubbles

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
A minor update (e.g., to 10.8.1, 10.8.2, ..., 10.8.n) does not require an Apple ID. If the OS was already installed, all the minor updates can be made without paying. However, updating from 10.m.x to 10.(m+1).y needs a valid purchase in the App Store.

Comment

chubbles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Thanks FrankHahn,
That's great, it is the same as with the disks. 10.m.x to 10.(m+1).y is an upgrade.

I read and learn from these forums frequently, but this was my first post.
You guys sure know tons more than I do.

Thanks,
chubbles

Comment

2ndPath

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
This may not the problem the OP was asking for, but what happens when you want to sell a Mac that came with Lion after you upgraded it to Mountain Lion? If the license for Lion is tied to your Apple ID, you have to downgrade the OS before selling the Mac. Can this easily be done? As I myself have only sold Macs or currently own Macs, which came with physical OS disks, I never had a problem to downgrade by just reinstalling the original OS. Do the newer ones offer an option in the recovery system to downgrade?

Comment

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
This may not the problem the OP was asking for, but what happens when you want to sell a Mac that came with Lion after you upgraded it to Mountain Lion? If the license for Lion is tied to your Apple ID, you have to downgrade the OS before selling the Mac. Can this easily be done? As I myself have only sold Macs or currently own Macs, which came with physical OS disks, I never had a problem to downgrade by just reinstalling the original OS. Do the newer ones offer an option in the recovery system to downgrade?
You can read more about it in this article under the section about Internet Recovery.

Technically, to be legal you would want to wipe the drive and do a Internet Recovery to the OS that came with the machine. If the machine came with Lion, Apple's servers will detect that during Internet Recovery (linked to serial number) and install Lion for example.

Comment

2ndPath

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
You can read more about it in this article under the section about Internet Recovery.

Technically, to be legal you would want to wipe the drive and do a Internet Recovery to the OS that came with the machine. If the machine came with Lion, Apple's servers will detect that during Internet Recovery (linked to serial number) and install Lion for example.
Thanks! This answered my question.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.