OS from Apple App Store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chubbles, Sep 30, 2012.

1. chubbles macrumors newbie

Hey folks could you give some help to a geekless?:rolleyes:

Now that Apple's OS is a download instead of a disk, does that mean that the OS does not transfer when the computer is sold? Would the new owner continue to receive OS updates? I think it boils down to, is the OS "tied" to the Apple ID or the the computer's mac address.

Yes you guessed it. I'm buying my second used Mac!

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
    Chubbles

2. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

A minor update (e.g., to 10.8.1, 10.8.2, ..., 10.8.n) does not require an Apple ID. If the OS was already installed, all the minor updates can be made without paying. However, updating from 10.m.x to 10.(m+1).y needs a valid purchase in the App Store.

3. chubbles thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks FrankHahn,
    That's great, it is the same as with the disks. 10.m.x to 10.(m+1).y is an upgrade.

I read and learn from these forums frequently, but this was my first post.
    You guys sure know tons more than I do.

Thanks,
    chubbles

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

The OS is tied to your Apple ID. With Mountain Lion, you can install the OS on up to 5 (IIRC) of your own Macs.

5. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

This may not the problem the OP was asking for, but what happens when you want to sell a Mac that came with Lion after you upgraded it to Mountain Lion? If the license for Lion is tied to your Apple ID, you have to downgrade the OS before selling the Mac. Can this easily be done? As I myself have only sold Macs or currently own Macs, which came with physical OS disks, I never had a problem to downgrade by just reinstalling the original OS. Do the newer ones offer an option in the recovery system to downgrade?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can read more about it in this article under the section about Internet Recovery.

Technically, to be legal you would want to wipe the drive and do a Internet Recovery to the OS that came with the machine. If the machine came with Lion, Apple's servers will detect that during Internet Recovery (linked to serial number) and install Lion for example.

7. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

Thanks! This answered my question.