OS getting slow, making my apps jerking...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacGiver, Oct 7, 2007.

1. MacGiver macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

Hi guys,

Since today when i turn on my mbp and only have safary open it gets sometimes slow/jerky...I noticed it when moving my mouse cursor or if you try to take your safary window and move it all around the screen the window movs in a jerky way...
    I dont have anything runing in behing but only goggle desktop, i do not think it is the culprit as i has this installed for weeks.

Any idea? whn you take and move in a fast way the safari window is it sometime jerky?
    Thx
    X

2. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

not jerky here, mbpro c2duo 2.16 2gb ram. you should run som maintenance app to run con scripts, clean caches and so on, Onyx can do that for you.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

How much free space do you have on your HD? if it is less than 6GBs that can make the OS go slower.

4. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

ok thx, i'll try onyx..but now i forgot to teli i have dowloaded today Xtorrent...not sure this apps affects the speed of OS even when not in operation.

My MBP is 3 weeks old...and very few space is used on the HD...i still have 120gb at least out of 160...

2 questions:

1- could Xtorrent disturb OS?
    2- When Xtorrent is dowloading DIVx is that normal that my OS is slowing down...? i thought this brand new super powerfull interl C2D was able to perforn many taks at the same time...if your answer is yes then C2D is no better than my normal PC intel 2gig...

X

5. Rube macrumors member

Torrent progams make any system slow down.

Think about what is going on. You are using the network resources(chances are your preferences say "unlimited" up/down speed); you are using disk resources for constant read/writes.

6. TheStu macrumors 65816

I would get transmission instead of XTorrent. very lightweight torrent downloader, and I almost never notice system slowdowns when running it, only internet slowdowns.

7. russell.h macrumors regular

I can't imagine why moving a window around would use the network or any disk IO.

Go to Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor

Then click on "% CPU" to order the list of processes by how much processor they are using. Post back what processes are using the most processor.

Then down near the bottom click on "System Memory" and see how much memory you are using.

8. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Seconded. The only slowdown I get with Transmission is when I have 20 torrents going.

9. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

My point is exacty Russels's point, sorry if i was misleading some of you...How could a P2P slow down my mouse cursor or when moving windows...As i said it is happening randomly and it even happened today wihout Xtorrent operating.

Russel, it works fine now and i checked the monitor utility...all looks OK...
    System Memory:
    Resident:246MO
    Active:105MO
    INACTIVE: 635MO
    USED: 987MO

CPU
    INACTIVE 90%

If i ever have this slow down thing i will try again to check this tool...

Any other thoughts are welcome.
    Thx
    X

10. Rube macrumors member

It's I/O related. I do not believe it has anyhing to do with CPU or Memory allocation. What you are seeing is typical for torrent programs including Transmission.

Transmission slows down system
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4188827

Limit the number of torrents like goodtimes mentioned. I am not too sure if it will help but worth a shot.