OS Hack to Trick Apps???

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by EatMyApple, Mar 28, 2010.

1. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

I used to be able to run MotionX GPS on my Jailbroken 3.0 3GS until I sync'd today. Now it won't let me reinstall from iTunes or iPhone iTunes as it prompts that I need OS 3.1

Since I am JB, is there a hack that will allow me to trick iTunes into thinking I am running 3.1.x OS?

I really would like my GPS back. Thanks!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think there was something that spoofed your firmware version and made it as if you were on 3.1.3 but I heard people having problems with it and needing to restore their iphones after installation.

Or if you have an untethered JB and your SHSH's saved on cydia for 3.1.2 why dont you restore to that?

3. EatMyApple thread starter macrumors 6502

It is already been tethered hacked.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I dont know, is that a question or you're telling me?
    The only thing we have for tethered JB model hack is a video and thats it for the moment. No tool has been released to not have to deal with tethered JB ibooots on latest bootloader 3GS models and probably wont for a little while.

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

To my knowledge, iPhones that came with 3.0 all have the old bootrom and are therefore capable of an untethered jailbreak. You'd want to double-check, of course.

6. EatMyApple thread starter macrumors 6502

It is jailbroken and then was "hacked" for tethering. I used this to allow tethering long ago:

http://www.benm.at/2009/06/13/helpbenmat/

So nothing to trick apps into thinking I am running 3.1? Thanks!

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Most apps that require 3.1 require the new frameworks added in that update. They aren't just forcing you to upgrade for the hell of it.

What AppleJuiced was asking about was not Internet tethering, but whether your phone had a tethered jailbreak. Since it is clear that you do not, you don't have to worry. You can follow his advice above and upgrade to 3.1.2 using a custom ipsw. Note that you will have to re-enable Internet tethering after upgrading to 3.1.2 custom...and that it is not quite as simple as it was with 3.0 (but still fairly straightforward).

8. EatMyApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahhhh!!! I was confused - thank you for the clarification!

Thank you to you too AppleJuiced - I will check that out!

9. TeamDNA macrumors 6502

yes there is an app in cydia to "change" your firmware to 3.1 or whatever you want it

10. thinkpad77 macrumors newbie

I read the following from an eBay seller and I was like can we really do that? and then I came across this thread which is something similar.

This phone will be on 3.1.2 firmware, but I will adjust the iphone so that it reports "3.1.3" to itunes...this will reduce the likelihood up "accidentally" upgrading to the real 3.1.3, because itunes wont ask you if you want to upgrade!

so what app is that you are talking about? can it do something like what has been stated above?

my iphone is 3g, 3.1.2/05.11.07, jb/ul.

11. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The app is called 3.1.3 Spoofer and is in the BigBoss' repository. It just changes how the OS is reported, not the actual OS.

12. thinkpad77 macrumors newbie

thanks.

have you or has anyone tried this successfully? please share any experience !

13. forum user macrumors regular

All the app from cydia does is to replace in /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist
    with
    Problem comes when you want to rollback the app from cydia can get confused.
    In the end I changed it manually, rebooted and the version required is reported to iTunes.

14. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Kind of an old bump, but the above info seems to work on 5.0.1 to change firmware version to read as 5.1 (build 9B176) to download app updates that require it.

15. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

Is there an app to do this? How do I change that coding? I'm fresh at this...

16. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

You'll need to SSH in. There are lots of guides on this, see the front page on Cydia for one. It's really easy so don't be afraid.

I remember there being an app to do this a while back, but I couldn't find it, so I did it myself.

17. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

18. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

Sorry if I sound brand new. I'm not scared just need a little more precise instructions so I don't trip over y own feet

19. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

If it helps.... I have "cyberduck" on my computer which I use to theme

20. Bl0ckHe1d macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d

is this to "trick" the iDevice into thinking it is on the latest firmware?

21. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Yes.

22. Bl0ckHe1d macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d

sorry i did catch on a little late....!

thanks!

23. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

In short, turn SSH on (if it's off), and be on the same network as your computer. Open a new connection in Cyberduck (SSH) and use whatever your IP is (easy to find in settings.app>wifi or in SBSettings (e.g. 10.0.2.20). Enter your password info
    user: root
    pw: yourpassword (default is apline, but you should change it, see Cydia's homepage).

Presto!

24. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

Just did this, about to see if I can download iPhoto without any issues. I'll let you know!!!

Thanks in advance!

25. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

Just did this.. broke a couple of my apps [infinidock being one]

Not sure what others it'll break or not... but I'll check.

And activator says its not sure if it will work with the latest firmware.. etc etc.