OS Install Disc

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AFPoster, Jul 30, 2011.

1. AFPoster macrumors 65816

My friends Mac crashed he has a 2008 MacBook but he doesn't have the original Install Disc anymore but he did have Snow Leopard from an upgrade. I bought a 2011 MBPro and I have the Install Disc for Snow Leopard. Will it work for me to give him my disc to do a clean install of snow leopard off of my install disc?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Install discs that come with a Mac are machine specific and can't be used on other models of Macs

3. simsaladimbamba

Does he still have the 29USD Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD?
    If so, he can use that.
    To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (the 29 USD Upgrade DVD is a fully working retail version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the Mac), follow one of the following guides:
    Short version: Clean Install of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
    Long version: Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard: How to Erase and Install

4. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

Good to know. If that's the case how is Apple support able to send him a new disc for $19.95? Do they make that specific to that Mac on there end? Sorry for the question's just trying to help him out.

5. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

He purchased the upgrade but never kept the disc. He said during the move it went MIA.

6. simsaladimbamba

Yes, Apple provides model specific Restore DVDs containing the OS the Mac came with.

He could just spend the 29 USD for the SL DVD and doesn't need to bother with the replacement DVDs.

7. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....another thing to keep in mind is that the retail 10.6 disc will only have the OS on it whereas the restore disc(s) that came with the computer will have the additional software (iLife)....oh yeah!