OS Install Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Christine1234, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Christine1234 macrumors regular

Christine1234

This afternoon I found yet another iMac G3 marked as untested, parts only. I took it home and it booted up to 10.0.3, and it was working just fine. It had IE 5 as the browser, and I couldn't see much of the internet with that, so I tried to put Panther (with Safari) on it. It met all the criteria for the new OS, and I've installed that OS on two other computers of the same model.

It took the first disk OK, then it did the second disk but didn't take as long to install the second disk as the other two computers did. It finished and spat out disk 2, then gave me a box saying it's (my name)'s computer and giving me the options of sleep, restart, and shut down. I opted for the restart, thinking it needed to do that because of the new OS. It booted up and gave me the same box again. No matter which one I choose, all I can get is that box, and none of the desktop icons are there, and the bar across the top with the apple icon doesn't show up, either, just that box. I put the second disk back in to try again, and it took it for a while then spat it out, but it's still doing the same thing.

Any idea what went wrong and how to fix it? It went from a working computer to a non-working one after I tried to install Panther. TIA.

2. stev3n macrumors 6502

3. Christine1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Christine1234

Thanks, I can do that. I have the computers, but will need to get the cable.