OS installation question.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jackers008, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Jackers008 macrumors member

I have a slight dilemma and would like some help if possible. I have fitted a new hard drive into my powerbook g4 12inch. Now my problem is that the superdrive slot does not work on the powerbook so I have mounted an image on an ipod classic of the tiger os installation dvd using disk utility(this was done on my mac pro). The ipod is connected to the powerbook via firewire but when I hold the option key after bootup I am greeted by a blue screen with a refresh arrow on the left and a straight arrow on the right. When I click on either of these nothing happens. Could someone shed some light on this?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

What ever you are booting from must actually be the installing disc, not just an image. You could replace the File structure on the iPod with that of the image, and that would work, or have it burned to disc then use an external CD/DVD Drive.

TEG

3. Jackers008 thread starter macrumors member

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Did you make sure that the iPod was in disk mode at the time you power up the PB in TD mode? That screen you see is the boot menu -- it should show eligible boot disks as icons in the middle of the screen once it finds some, but if it doesn't find any, it means that it doesn't see your iPod as a disk (or that you didn't image the installation disc correctly)....

Hmmm, otherwise, so you can't bring the PB up in Target Disk mode attached to the Mac Pro, because the Mac Pro won't install the PPC codebase onto the drive, right?

5. Jackers008 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response. The iPod is in disk mode as when I plug it into my mac pro is opens the tiger installer box so I'd imagine this means its correctly put the image on the ipod. When I plug it into the powerbook and hold the option key I am greeted with that screen I mentioned above and the mouse pointer turns into a clock. Nothing happens though :confused:

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Your PB may be old enough that it cannot boot off of USB devices. It would only be allowed to boot off of FireWire or internal devices.

TEG

7. Jackers008 thread starter macrumors member

The Ipod I am using is plugged into the powerbook via the firewire cable it was originally supplied with :confused: Would an external firewire dvd drive be a solution?

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It could be. What model of iPod is it?

TEG

9. Jackers008 thread starter macrumors member