OS Leopard-problem getting online wirelessly

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ericw3031, Jan 2, 2009.

1. ericw3031 macrumors newbie

I'm new to Macs and this forum so bear with me.

I recently obtained a IMAC G5 1.8 GHZ 17 inch with 512 mb ram. The IMAC already had OS Tiger running on it and I've upgraded to OS Leopard. Initially I did so by simply doing the upgrade install following which I was asked to connect to the internet wirelessly. I did so to my ADSL wireless Sieman's brand router and everything seemed fine. I could get onto the Internet using Safari but then it stopped working for a not known reason. The airport area on the upper right of the desktop showed it still contacted to my wireless router but no luck getting online. If I reboot the IMAC it would come back and I can get online.
    I re-installed OS Leopard using the erase and install method thinking there could have been some software set-up problem on the IMAC. I still have the same problem. The last time this happened I tried Safari, Internet Explorer etc.. but couldn't get online access. I did nothing, no reboot, and left it for 5 -6 hours after which it came back online by itself. The router.

Also I've got a PC running Windows XP connected via Ethernet to this router and have no problems. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to why this is happening?

Thanks

2. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

Have you updated you firmware on your router?

A more pertinent step maybe to hook up your Imac to the router via Ethernet, and see if the problem reoccurs. This will help to isolate whereabouts the problem lies.

Finally, when you are having this problem, goto the networks preference pane, and see if you are getting a self assigned IP address (169.xxx.x.x) or one of the router (usually 192.168.0.x)

3. ericw3031 thread starter macrumors newbie

Things seem to be working now

In response to your question as to my updating the firmware I the adsl router is only a month old, I believe I did update it;s firmware when I set it up.

Interestingly, I haven't had the persistent problem since I posted the message. When I do I'll see about checking into this as well as what channel the Wireless ADSL router is broadcasting on. I understand that some are better then others. Since I haven't had the problem with internet access since I posted the message I don't know what the IP address would show. I currently have the following set-up:

Siemans Gateway Router ADSL
    Router IP 192.168.1.254
    Mac IP 192.168.1.66
    Subnet IP 255.255.255.0

The IMAC shows 4 bars on the aircard connection to my router. The router Wireless is currently set-up using WPA-PSK (Personal Encryption) with a password. Broadcasting on Channel 4 with the filter mode disabled.

I reviewed the logs for my router and found that since January 2, 2009 the wireless link between the router and the IMAC has been in place. Prior to that there were times that the IMAC wireless would show as disassociated and the link down as seen below.

2009-01-02 20:30:58 GMT E Wireless Station MAC 00:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX - disassociated
    2009-01-02 20:30:58 GMT E Wireless Link Down
    2009-01-02 23:04:37 GMT E Wireless Station MAC 00:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX - associated successfully
    2009-01-02 23:04:37 GMT E Wireless Link Up

Thanks for the helpful comments and I'll continue to check if the problem persists.