OS licence transfer with time machine option using migration assistant?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by G-mok, Oct 20, 2010.

1. G-mok macrumors newbie

Hi folks,

I have recently moved overseas and rather than ship my imac I chose to buy a new mbp (it arrived last minute) and I migrated all apps and files using the time machine option in migration assistant. It worked perfectly:). A friend has offered to format and sell the imac for me. He'll follow the usual path of de-authorising itunes etc and will install Tiger that came with the machine up to the 'create new user account' point. My question is, can it be sold with the one licence retail copy of Snow Leopard that I bought and was running on the machine prior to formatting. I presume the mbp has retained the Snow Leopard licence it shipped with.

Wikipedia states that Migration Assistant does not transfer the operating system of the old computer to the new one. I'd just like confirmation.

Thanks!

2. Playgear macrumors regular

Migration Assistant does not transfer the operating system. Only user data.

There is no 'licence' per se in OS X. For example, If I wanted to, instead of buying the family pack, I could just install the single-user OS X copy on to all of the macs in my house. There is no licence/serial key attached to the software. OS X is sold on the honesty system.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

yes, you can sell it with the copy of snow leopard since you got a new license with your macbook pro.

4. G-mok thread starter macrumors newbie