OS on an iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by darth nihilus 69, Aug 4, 2015.

1. darth nihilus 69 macrumors newbie

thinking about it, i realized ive started using my iPad more than my macbook. this has probably been discussed, but i would still like such a smaller touchscreen device to have the capabilities of a macbook. just wondering what your stance is on a future iPad or similar tablet with mac OS

2. Dave245 macrumors 601

This has been rumoured about the iPad Pro, but personally I don't think Apple will put OSX on a tablet, the new 12" MacBook has OSX and if Apple are indeed going to release a bigger (rumoured 12.9") iPad Pro then it makes more sense for it to have IOS 9 on it, more so now that IOS 9 has multitasking features for the iPad.

I could be wrong but this is how I see it. I think at the most the iPad Pro will have a bedded up version of IOS 9.

3. GaryNoine macrumors member

GaryNoine

I think a future iPad with OSX would be getting into too much of a "Surface" area, which I am not a fan of. I personally like the distinctions between the Apple devices and their respective operating systems just the way they are now.

4. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Sorry, OS X is not coming to iPad Pro. They've already discovered that the iOS 9 iPad keyboard resizes to a larger resolution screen. The keyboard has more keys to be more like a MacBook keyboard, and that's about it. Look it up.

100% sure here that iPad pro is getting iOS 9. Kind of unfortunate actually. I feel like iPad Pro would really need OS X to really shine, really be a unique product. iPad Pro is shaping up to be a blown up iPad already, nothing special. Hopefully Apple really has a trick up their sleeve with iOS to really let the iPad Pro actually have something going for it, because right now, I don't see iPad Pro taking off.

I know OS X is NOT touch-friendly, but I feel that they could make it so. No, it wouldn't need to be something drastic like Windows 8, but just add certain gestures to close things, redesign a few things that involve drop down menus, etc, etc.

5. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I don't want to start a Microsoft vs Apple debate, but MS, for better or worse, really was applying some forward thinking with Windows 8 and the Surface line. They made Windows into a touch friendly OS while maintaining its desktop functionality. Apple was not thinking about that at all when they designed OS X, so I think that any tablet that runs it will feel very much like the pre Windows 8 tablets that ran Windows 7. That is to say, not very good.

6. xaqt93 macrumors 6502

xaqt93

Apple is not and will not make a tablet that runs OSX. It just won't happen

7. ValO macrumors 65816

No they will launch iOS pro though, the iPad pro will have first class hardware , with desktop class performance, perhaps a quad core a9x with 4gb of memory.
    Developers will be able to make more sophisticated /desktop class apps for the iPad pro.

You will be able to run these apps on an iPad mini or air2, but with less extensions and capabilities.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Or the mythical iPad pro could have a core m processor and a single USB-c port on it and the Macbook was there testbed hmmm

9. Dave245 macrumors 601

It could be that the iPad Pro doesn't exist and instead what we were seeing was the screens for the 12" retina Macbook. I'm not 100% either way, simply because i didn't think there would be a smaller iPad and there was the iPad Mini. I'm just thinking that there have not been many "leaks" in regards to the iPad Pro.