All iPads OS on earlier stocked models?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sydde, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

So I have an Air 2 with the latest version of iOS 8, and I am finding the touch on it to be wildly inconsistent. Sometimes it completely misses touches, turns a hold into a tap, sees a phantom second finger, types random characters for me or registers touches that I never made.

These problems do not appear to be due to this particular unit, or even the model, my first-gen mini has the same issue. I suppose I might be using the wrong fingers and need to go find an Apple-approved set, but I never noticed this until 8.1/8.1.1, so I am blaming that.

So, my question is whether the mini 2 ships with iOS 7. I know there will probably be a bunch still in the retail pipe, but does Apple at some point change the manufacturing spec so that everything off the line has the latest OS? Because, if someone were to ask for a recommendation, I would have to tell them that the time to wait is now, IME.

2. NorthSeaBeach macrumors regular

If you can find a Mini 2 in the old box, that is with the old picture on it, its' got IOS 7.1.2 pre-installed. Same goes for the Air 1. The new boxes show a picture of an ipad with an all white or all black (depending on the colour of the ipad) wallpaper with apps on it, the old boxes an ipad with the cloudy nightsky that was the default ios 7 wallpaper. If you really want ios 7 pre-installed I think you have to hurry, because the new boxes are already being sold.

3. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I'd look for a 64GB or 128GB version. They were dropped from the product line this year with the introduction of the new models, so any still being sold will have a flavor of iOS 7 installed.

If you want a 16GB of 32GB version, what NorthSeaBeach is correct. The older models will have a picture of the cloudy sky. That is the one you want.

Good luck!

4. newellj macrumors 601

Not necessarily. I bought one like that a month ago and it had 7.0.4.

5. NorthSeaBeach macrumors regular

Hhmm. I didn't known that. That's pretty bad since the pre 7.1 versions had a few issues aswell. In that case you're more or less forced to upgrade. The Mini 2 I bought a couplet of week ago had 7.1.2 pre-installed. I will keep it like that and probably upgrade just before iOS 9 gets released. I do hope all the issues with 8 are fixed by then. That will be it's first and last upgrade.

6. newellj macrumors 601

You are soooo right! :( I was hoping it'd be 7.1.2. When I saw 7.0.4, I went ahead and updated to 8.1. I have to say that 8.1 is running just fine on the rMini, though.