OS question for iBook g3 and system 7 question

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mattscott251, Mar 30, 2010.

1. mattscott251 macrumors newbie

So I recently acquired my sister's old ibook as she moved on to a new computer, and I wanted to re-install the operating system on it to get all the junk off that she had on there. As I was looking into this it occurred to me that this was a power pc mac (duh).

So I then decided that it would be neat to have a dedicated laptop to run all my old system 7 programs as opposed to running basilisk on my current mac all the time. Just because I want to. I know it isn't really necessary, but I want to.

My first question is what is the lowest operating system that can be installed on the ibook? I read somewhere it was 9.0 or 9.2 or something.

So if that is the case, then can programs from system 7, like games and such, be run on system 9 on the ibook? How does that work exactly?

I don't have the ibook with me right now, so here are the specs that I remember.
    It's an ibook g3, 800 mHz, dual usb, and it is an opaque white, which I think is all thats necessary to identify which one it is.

2. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

Hi,

As far as I know, 9.1 is the earliest you can run.

If the games say "System 7 or better" then you should be golden.

Still, I wonder if the same games are available in the App Store?

s.