Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hlkc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Newbie OS X question...

If I have Intel CPU like Core2Duo, Intel MB, reformat the whole HDD to Mac format, can I install the OS X like Snow Leopard to a ex-Windows based desktop and use OS X snow Leopard?

hlkc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I think you're trying to ask if you can install Snow Leopard on a Windows box.

The answer is yes, but not without a lot of messing around. Since you're asking, it's probably not something you should attempt.

Yes. I've a Windows box, C2Duo, good Intel MB and 500GB HDD laying around and instead of putting W7 there, I want to put a Snow Leopard there. May I ask what is the "messing around" included/needed?

davidcmc

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2009
Yes. I've a Windows box, C2Duo, good Intel MB and 500GB HDD laying around and instead of putting W7 there, I want to put a Snow Leopard there. May I ask what is the "messing around" included/needed?

A lot of "messing around".
As he stated: Since you're asking how to do it, you shouldn't even try it.
Basically:

1. Find some files on the Internet, put them in a CD or a pendrive.
2. Boot your computer with that CD/pendrive.
3. If the files were the correct ones, put the Snow Leopard DVD (or USB stick).
4. Install it.
5. Manually install the correct files for almost every device of your computer. When I say "manually", I mean that you won't have the convenience of running a driver installer and just click "next". You'll have to find in some discussion forum the correct kernel extensions and frameworks to make things like VGA, sound card, LAN, chipset, wireless and some other things to work. Put these files in the correct system folders, apply correct permissions to them and reboot the computer.
6. Install a bootloader to make OS X think that your computer is a Mac.
7. Configure that bootloader with proper files and strings in plist files.
8. Done.

I'd say that, if you're good at quickly learning computer things, you'd take something like 5 to 7 days (assuming that you need to use your time to work, study or simply go out) to correctly install Snow Leopard in your PC (non-Mac).

hlkc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks davidcmc and miles01110. After you guys advised and further digging around, I agree and it is quite a bit jobs not just one time but also if I decide to add other hardwares later. Thanks again for the tips.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Check outinsanelymac and its forums. Lots of information to get you going.

The short list is as follows.
Do you have a compatible motherboard, cpu, bios and graphics card. The level of compatibility will dictate how easy/hard turning your computer into a hackintosh. That is, installing a lot or a few custom kexts, messing with various system files etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.