OS Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Christine1234, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Christine1234 macrumors regular

Christine1234

I have a G3 iMac GDV 400 that I upgraded to OS 9.1, and I upgraded the RAM to 2 sticks of 512 mb last weekend. When I asked here before, I was told to put OS 10.4.11 on it. Right now I have OS 10.3 in the house. Would it be OK to put that on it, and then look around for the disks to upgrade to 10.4.11, or would that take up more memory than going straight to Tiger? I'd like to be able to use it soon. TIA.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Not sure if you're fuzzy on the difference between RAM, "memory", and hard drive space. RAM and memory are synonymous. The OS does not "take up memory". So the RAM sticks you put in don't factor in to your question.

Having said all that, can't help with the question. I've no idea if 10.3 takes up less space than 10.4 but switching replaces the former one and does not take up additional space in that respect. That is it doesn't leave part of the old OS behind.

3. treestar macrumors 6502

Don't worry about the update sequence. Your computer won't take on more OS than it should.

4. Christine1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Christine1234

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. :) I'm a non-techie who bought the G3 mainly to learn how to do things like repairs, upgrades, etc., and the eMac I'm using now is starting to have fuzzy screen problems, so I want to be able to use the iMac as soon as possible. Then I'll try to repair the eMac.

5. Christine1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Christine1234

OK, I'm back using the iMac and panther. :D

What are Xcode tools, and should I install that disk, too?

6. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

7. Christine1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Christine1234