OS re-install question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NYU02, Jun 24, 2007.

1. NYU02 macrumors regular

I think I posted this in the wrong forum so I will give it a try here.
    I just bought a new SR mbp and I love it - I recently did some stupid things that didn't really affected the computer's performance but being it was a new computer and I didn't really install anything yet I decided to install the OS from scratch. While the second disc was installing - towards the end it said error please install 2nd cd again (CD came out & I put it back in) and the second time worked fine. So here are my questions:

1) Even though the install seemed to have worked fine eventually, did the error message mean anything significant? Is that a common error? It happened towards the end when I only had about 5-10% left. ***AFTER THE ERROR AND I PUT THE 2nd CD BACK IN THE INSTALL WENT FINE AND IT LOOKS AS IF EVERYTHING WORKS PERFECTLY***

2) Does installing the OS from scratch affect the computer in any way? Performance, HD, anything? or is fine.

Just and update: Everything seems to run fine. Once in a blue moon I will have to do a force quit but I am assuming thats normal right?

Thanks,
    NYU02

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

If I understand you correctly, there was probably a hitch while reading the second install DVD.

As long as it continued to install okay after you reinserted the install DVD you should have no problems.

Note, once you've installed everything, you need to run Software Update if it doesn't launch by itself as there are quite a few updates to be installed.

3. NYU02 thread starter macrumors regular

so im ok? is that normal? someone suggested it might be dust or just a one time nothing to worry about thing.

Its just so fustrating that I had to re-install the OS on a brand new computer but im told its no biggie.

Thanks,
    NYU02

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

These are two different issues. Are you OK? Well, nobody knows. If everything seems OK, then you probably are OK. Only time will tell.

Was your experience normal? Most certainly not.

You did not have to reinstall the OS on your brand new computer. It is a bad idea to do so. Despite what many new users believe, there is no way that a user's OS installation will be better than the factory installation. Apple installs the OS on its computers in controlled laboratory conditions. Neither your office, den, nor bedroom is a controlled laboratory. The chances of things going wrong are small, but they are much higher than at the factory.

5. NYU02 thread starter macrumors regular

MisterMe,
    what makes the apple installation more controlled?

when i re-inserted the second cd again everything went as planned and the OS installed like a fresh copy right to the welcome screen.

I have not had an issue since, seems to run as it did when I got the computer.

I hope its fine but as a side note - I know people who have installed there OS multiple times over and over again with no problem and was even told by apple thats its fine and no different basically from what they do.

Thanks all,
    NYU02