Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordthistle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Italy
I am trying to modify some pictures copied from a CD onto my hard drive.

However, I can't. Many of those pictures are locked according to my OS X Lion (all of the updates installed).

But they are not.

For each file, access rights are correct:
- the file is not locked according to the Get Info dialog window;
- the Unix file permissions are ok. I have full rights both on the file and on the folder containing that file.

Do you have a solution for this problem other than installing a clean copy of the good old Snow Leopard?

Thistle

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
This may be very basic, but are you sure you're trying to modify the copy on your hard drive, and not the copy on the CD? You could also try relaunching Finder, logging out/in, and/or restarting your computer, as an initial step in troubleshooting.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Files copied from CD will be locked by default as well...I get this all the time when people send me stuff...You may well be confusing the CD file with the HDD copy, which you should be able to unlock.

lordthistle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Italy
I was modifying files copied from the CD onto the HD. Be assured I was not using files on the CD.

The files were obviously locked in some way. Which way no one knows, since unix permissions were ok and the Info dialog said the files were not locked.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Did you view these pictures with Preview before copying them to your HD?
The "Reopen documents when App starts" mechanism sometimes seems to set permissions for docs that are not currently open, but will be if you start up Preview again. It does this in a way that doesn't show up in a files GetInfo window. The solution is to start up Preview again, make sure the docs are closed, and then open up a different doc in Preview.
With a bug like that I'd not be at all surprised to see a manifestation that invisibly messes with copied file's permissions.

Ashka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
New Zealand
Lion:
Open picture in Preview. Does it just say locked on the top of the window?
If so use the drop down arrow on the top of the window and unlock it..

Pages, Numbers & Preview all work the same way.

lordthistle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Italy
I was trying to modify the files with Preview and no, I did not use 'sudo' for copying the files: there was absolutely no reason for sudoing a copy from a CD (my user is not even a sudoer).

The Lock/Unlock mechanism of Lion is very clear, but it was not working on some files copied from the CD on the hard drive.

After posting here, I filed a bug report to ADC and they were not able to find an immediate solution, but got very interested in this bug. Now I cannot give any further information since I have switched back to Snow Leopard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.