OS Upgrade: Should I wait for Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mach42006, Aug 14, 2007.

1. mach42006 macrumors member

I'm a life-long Windows user, but I am looking forward to upgrading to a Mac this fall. I've been doing a lot of research, and I know that Leopard is coming out in October. When Windows releases a new OS, I was always warned to wait a few months so they could work the bugs out. Forgive my ignorance--but will the same be true with the new Mac OS? Would you recommend purchasing before Leopard's release and upgrading at some point down the road, or should there be no worries buying right away when Leopard is released?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

There will be some bugs for the first few weeks, but after that I expect it should be pretty much perfect. :)

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i really think apple's had ample time to work out a lot of leopard's kinks. regardless, i've always adopted new os releases on launch day since 10.1, and i've never had a problem. i think we'll be fine.

4. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

5. esco macrumors 6502

esco

I've been running the Developer's Build for a while and I rarely run into any bugs. I'm pretty sure you'll be fine when Leopard launches.

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I have to ask: why fall? Are you a student? If so, you should buy your Mac now, not later. With the free iPod deal going on now, you'd get more for your money now than you would by waiting for Leopard to come out. Also, you don't want to get a whole new computer with a whole new OS in the middle of a semester.

Just advising if you are a student. If not, then ignore this.

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

Adding another agreeing opinion to those here. I've used every version of OSX since the public beta, and I installed everything from 10.0 on on launch day, so I know of that which I speak. I also manage a small lab that runs mostly Macs and do tech support for a number of friends, so I have a sample size larger than one.

Ignoring 10.0 (which was shaky, but that was a LONG time ago), the only .0 release that was rough around the edges was 10.4.0, but even that didn't have any major issues in my experience.

My guess would be that 10.5 will be good to go from day one; 10.4 was sort of rushed to release, but 10.5 has been given ample time in development. I could of course be wrong, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Of course, 10.4 is, at this point, looking very solid, so if (as said) you're a student, it's TOTALLY worth taking advantage of the iPod deal and then upgrading to 10.5 at your leisure later.