OS version confusion

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BadlyDrawnGirl, Nov 18, 2007.

1. BadlyDrawnGirl macrumors member

I recently did a complete reinstall of my OS with my 10.3.5 backup discs that came with my iBook. Everything is fine and I've installed all the respective updates from Software Update, except that before I reinstalled I had updated up to 10.4 - now it seems the latest update is 10.3.9. When I try to download the 10.4 updates it says they cannot be run on my system (obviously, since it's a different OS version, but I was running it on my old system so I'm a little confused). Anyone have any idea what's going on with my OS? Is there a reason I was able to install 10.4 before but not now?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You must have had a 10.4 install DVD at some point. There has never been a downloadable way to upgrade from 10.3.x to 10.4.x

3. BadlyDrawnGirl thread starter macrumors member

Well, I know there's no way to verify it now, but I swear I had 10.4.1 running on my computer before the reinstall (see this post where I quoted my version directly from System Profiler). I've never had Tiger discs. Weird...

4. unity macrumors 6502a

Did you buy your computer new? If not there are always cases of computer shipping with a newer version but the shipping discs are the original. I did so with my Pismo. It shipped with 10.2 or something, but the system discs were OS 8 or 9, dont recall.

5. BadlyDrawnGirl thread starter macrumors member

I bought it new in February 2005...would Tiger have been released back then? If so, would I have any chance of getting the upgrade back from Apple? (Actually I might not care too much since I'm buying a new Macbook hopefully in the next six months or so, but still...)

6. unity macrumors 6502a

Yours came out in October 2004 with 10.3.5, then later 10.3.7.

The next revision came out in July 2005 and came with 10.4.2 and 10.4.4.

10.4 came out in April 2005.

So yours would certainly not have come with 10.4 being purchased in February 05.

Im sorry, but the ONLY way you would have had 10.4 is if you or some one else installed it later.

Just stick with 10.3.5 for now if your getting a new one soon.

7. BadlyDrawnGirl thread starter macrumors member

Wow...that's bizarre. Oh well, I guess it doesn't make too much of a difference, but how odd. I reinstalled it once before, really soon after I purchased it actually...and my ex-boyfriend did it for me, so it's possible he upgraded it for me. Other than that I can't think of a reason. Oh well.

8. theman macrumors 6502a

maybe you got the disks from up-to-date since you bought the ibook right before 10.4 came out? did your ex steal the disks from you? :p might have to pay him a visit...

9. MacHipster macrumors 6502

10. BadlyDrawnGirl thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I did. (Dammit, I used Widgets a lot!)

My ex worked at our university's IT service, so maybe he used the Tiger discs from his work on my iBook. I definitely only ever had the 10.3.5 discs. No great loss, except I DID use Widgets a lot (mainly for the dual world clocks so I can tell what time it is in the United States).

11. MacHipster macrumors 6502

Yeah sounds like he did just that. Well once you get your new MacBook, you'll have them again.:)