OS will not install on new hard drive.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cementi, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Cementi macrumors newbie

Ok after procrastinating for awhile I finally decided to replace my hard drive as a previous reinstall (as well as other things) did not help and the disc utility said the hard drive was failing. Its an older 2008 Imac so no big deal. It had a good run.

So I picked up a new hard drive and followed all the steps on fixit to replace it (not a novice to doing this stuff on a pc just new to it on a mac). After putting it all back together I was rather happy when the unit powered back on to a flashing folder with a ?

I slapped in my snow lepoard disc tried to reinstall however it loads to the apple logo, does the little circle load thing and then goes to a blue screen and nothing. Does the same with the origional install discs as well.

Am I missing something or did I get a dud harddrive? Sorry if I am missing a post that covers this I have been fighting with this for a couple hours and my search fu is weak.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Cementi thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried both the C and option methods.

----------

Your link that mentions the guid, i do not have a functioning mac to do this on is their any other way?

4. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

So far as I'm aware no PC can natively format a drive for mac. You can't get the formatting option or the GUID.

Something like macdrive can get you the formatting option I believe but I'm not sure on the GUID. It has a trial though so it's worth trying. Otherwise you'll need to bring it into an apple store or find a friend with a mac that you can use disk utility on.

Getting back to C and option though, nothing loads on the screen at all using the disk that came with your mac? If you insert the disk and turn on the system, holding option as soon as it chimes, you should get the disk selection screen. The disk comes pre-loaded with disk utility so that you can format a drive specifically for this purpose.

5. Cementi thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so I picked up a sata to usb adapter and ripped it apart again and got the drive formated on another mac.

Still getting stuck at the blue screen and for giggles I loaded up the drive that was failing with that adapter on the other mac.....it was slow but working.

So aparently I have another issue going on at the same time. Any ideas.