OS X 10.1 to 10.4.6

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lazyjc, Dec 26, 2007.

1. lazyjc macrumors newbie

Ok I have a g4 PPC iMac running at just under 1gb of ram, and meets the requirements to install 10.4. But for some reason every time I put in the install disc it doesn't load up. I've tried rebooting my mac with the disc inserted holding the C key and it just ejects.

Iv'e looked on the mac support page and all I got was a super drive update which my mac didn't need! Also I've unplugged all unnecessary cables and so on from my mac to no avail.

And finally I tried running the disc on my brothers intel based mac and the install start up came on. So I'm wondering whether or not I have the wrong OS X disc in the box (sounds pretty unlikely). It does say on the box its for PPC G3,G4 and G5 :confused: Someone help me please

2. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Clearly its not a legal disc as it contains the Intel version of 10.4 which was never sold by Apple and won't work in a PPC Mac.

4. lazyjc thread starter macrumors newbie

Yh I have all the firmware updates except for an iPod update which doesn't work properly. Im guessing its corrupt is there any other updates which I may need?

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I had a feeling about this as well.

It is 10.4.6 and they do mention that the box said PowerPC. This leads me to believe it's the final Tiger retail disc.

6. lazyjc thread starter macrumors newbie

Ive looked at the discs which came with my brothers mac and they're gray, the one which has come in the box is black the X on it.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If you already have 10.1 installed does the disc mount in Finder?

Can you boot off of the disc from Finder?

8. lazyjc thread starter macrumors newbie

No the disc won't mount in finder I'm going to try a disc cleaner in a little bit which may or may not help. I dont know why it won't mount though.

9. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

wow, should have seen that! yea that's it!

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It looks like you're able to read the DVD in the Intel iMac as well.

Can you try another DVD in the iMac G4?

11. lazyjc thread starter macrumors newbie

Yh I'll try that if that does work but the install DVD doesn't mount a different PPC version of the software should work though shouldn't it? Seen as this one may not be a legit version of the software.

12. lazyjc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help everyone it turned out to be the laser on superdrive being in need of a clean. Its all good now and tiger is soooo much better than 10.1, I didn't need to tell you that though. Cheers.