Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will Apple bring iOS 7 design to OS X

• Yes, I think it will look good on a Mac

Votes: 84 49.4%
  • Yes, But I think it won't look good on a Mac

Votes: 37 21.8%
  • No, I think iOS 7 design looks bad on a Mac

Votes: 39 22.9%
  • No, But I want iOS 7 design on Mac.

Votes: 10 5.9%

• Total voters

ekiro

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2013
We'll duh.

The 5s is 1-2 years old. They are working on the iPhone 6 and 6s now.
Same with iOS8 and experimental work on 9

I'd like to know what features to except. The name doesn't mean much.

Hoping for a flat UI look to complement ios7

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
The good news here is that 10.9 won't be ruined yet and they have time to think about useful change (aka improvement) vs. random change (aka breaking software usability by hardware designers).

"Looks dated" is not a reason to change an entire os but implementing improvement would be a good one.

The next big change that Apple needs to bring to OS X is a new filesystem. HFS+ harks back to Mac OS classic days, and only existed to provide backwards compatibility with the older system. Now, Rosetta is a thing of the past, and there is no reason to keep such an old filesystem. Sadly, ZFS is not an option for Apple, since it moved to new licensing terms following Oracle's acquisition of Sun Microsystems. As I remember, Apple did hire some filesystem engineers to work on a new system for OS X following the abandonment of the ZFS project, so I am hoping that OS X 10.10, or whatever it will end up being called, will bring this change.

derbladerunner

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
10.10 for 2014 already? I hope not.

I think Apple should go back to 2 or even 2.5 years cycles for OS X. One year cycles may be ok in the fast moving mobile world for iOS in tandem with new iPhones but it's overkill for a more mature OS X in my opinion.

To follow up on my post, here's what Siracusa had to say on the topic at the end of his long OS X review:

It’s nice to get new features and refinements every year, and stability doesn’t seem to be a problem. But what about things that take more than a year to create? Case in point: we’ve been waiting for a new file system for years now. That type of project doesn’t fit within a 12-month release cycle, and it will only be delayed further if it has to constantly chase after and synchronize with yearly releases.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/10/os-x-10-9/24/#changeover

I think that's an excellent point. I would rather have a new OS in late 2015 with substantial changes and additions, for example a new filesystem, instead of yearly updates.

Yearly updates make a lot of sense imho for iOS (paired with new iPhones and iPads) but I don't get the value on OS X. It's also a pain for small software developers and accessory makers to test their stuff on a myriad of possible configurations. Same for larger companies running critical stuff on OS X, updates take time and testing.

Last edited:

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Nope. Launchpad used to be integrated into Dock.app and you had to use some "hacky" methods to get it out (plus some other things made it integrated, I believe). Apple gradually made it more optional.

Bollocks. I ran Lion and never used launchpad. I stuck with shift apple A to get to applications or used spotlight. You were never forced to use launchpad.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, YYYYYEEEEEESSSSSS !

Please, don't leave a single shiny icon in there. Make everything as flat as a pancake. Love OS X, hate the shiny traffic light icons. Good thing they lost the aqua blue scroll bars already.

Please Apple, flat flat flat and matte matte matte !!!!

Seriously, EWWW....!!!! :eek::eek:

I don't know what you guys find interesting about the FLAT interface. Though I find skeuomorphism equally distasteful, Aqua interface is what brings Mac OS X simple to my eyes.

That's what I like about Snow Leopard and before - Aqua scroll bars and the non-skeuomorphic Contacts and Calendars (iCal) apps... :D:D

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011

Pardon my previous post if I did not sound clear enough. Apple had intended to use ZFS as part of OS X, but after Oracle purchased Sun Microsystems, ZFS moved to a new license which made it impossible for Apple to use it in its commercial software. So, as I remember reading, Apple hired some filesystem engineers to work on a new system for OS X, although since it takes a number of years to create a new filesystem, it was not included in Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion, or Mavericks. I am hoping that the new system will appear as part of OS X 10.10 next year.

Suspended
Oct 8, 2013
Osx 10.10?

So apparently there's more and more traffic from machines running 10.10 lately, and i was wondering what people think will be targeted to be improved in it.

My wishlist/prediction list:

-File system type. It's outdated, it's slow. Time to change.
-Overall looks to move towards unified UI with IOS
-A new Itunes that isn't crap
-Do something with the Dashboard. Take it away? Improve it? I don't know, but it has to change.
-Unified Airdrop. This is a must, can't believe don't have it yet.
-Don't know if this is already implemented, but cryptography for documents in your machine. Like, specific documents you have to imput a pass to open.
-Photo Boot be renamed Camera.
-Let users install custom icons/docks, though this is 99% not happening ever.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
So apparently there's more and more traffic from machines running 10.10 lately, and i was wondering what people think will be targeted to be improved in it.

-Do something with the Dashboard. Take it away? Improve it? I don't know, but it has to change.
-Don't know if this is already implemented, but cryptography for documents in your machine. Like, specific documents you have to imput a pass to open.

Filesystem: Much agreed. I'm currently starting to organize a campaign for native ZFS. I can't bear HFS+ anymore without fear over my data. I hate HFS+.
Unified looks: If done right, I'm all for it. Although I must say Aqua never started feeling old to me, much unlike iOS6 and below's design.
iTunes: Define crap. If you mean resource hungry, then probably, then again, it does a lot and I certainly don't want to see another good program dumbed down. I like having most of my media in one application. I'd also be in favor of creating "media types" of your own (akin to music, audiobooks, ...)
I'd love my manga collection to be separate from my books as well. And collections in iBooks doesn't cut it, it's idiotic to throw hundreds of them in one section, and having multiple sections à la "Manga/Action" is silly. Good Lord, even folders would help. In fact, bring folders to iBooks!
Dashboard: Yupp, needs some love again. I love having it, but there's never been substantial improvements for it, hence it's sitting there doing it's 2005 thing... It still sits at v1.8... Jolly Christ!
AirDrop: I'm not even going to begin to tell you what a teasing hell that is. iPhone 5, 5c and 5s only, okay, so of the few Apple folks I know that I'd bother to share files with regularly, none of them have such a device, at home, quickly tossing files around between Mac and iPhone, not possible... iTunes Filesharing is a piece of hell, it should have automated features and applications should be allowed to plug in, because I for one hate the cloud for many things...
Password protected files: Hmm, this used to be in iWork documents, but not anymore (LOL)... They plan to bring it back though iirc, still ridiculous to not make that a launch feature... what have they been doing the past 5 years? But I digress, if you need partition independent encryption, maybe password protected disk images will help you? Just mount them when you need their data and what's especially cool, you can alias to files in them and when you open the alias, the image gets auto-mounted (after password)
Maybe that helps you out for the time being. ;)
Photo Booth: Nope, stick to Photo Booth, it's more than a camera application, why dumb down the name to reflect less what it is: a fun tool to create photos or photo strips, even with effects, similar to photo booths. In fact, I'd even go as far as to say give it purikura machine features. I'd love that, of course I'm in the minority here in the West, but I know that in Asia that'd be regarded as a nice bonus!
Maybe include a printing service for typical purikura strip sized print-outs?
Too niche for Apple I guess, I'd love it though! :) I digress, next:
Custom docks and icons: You kinda could change that with the Terminal. You still can in Mavericks I think and most of the application, file and folder icons you can change as well. Right-click -> Get Info -> Click on the icon in the top left corner -> +V (or cmd + V) your image from clipboard or drag and drop it there. Voilà!

Glassed Silver:mac

Last edited by a moderator:

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I've never understood the issue with the current HFS+ filesystem. I see people mentioning that it's outdated and slow, and has data integrity issues. However, I don't experience these things in my usage. Obviously, my personal experience doesn't reflect everyone else's, so if someone could offer some insight, it'd be much appreciated.

Suspended
Oct 8, 2013
OSX 10.10 Predictions

So i thought there should be a unique post for OSX 10.10 predictions.
There is already one about 10.10, but it's too general and information gets lost in the pages.
If i'm wrong and this should all be merged, then delete this and i'm sorry.
Otherwise... post your predictions.

Glassed Silver response to my post in the other thread:

Filesystem: Much agreed. I'm currently starting to organize a campaign for native ZFS. I can't bear HFS+ anymore without fear over my data. I hate HFS+.
Unified looks: If done right, I'm all for it. Although I must say Aqua never started feeling old to me, much unlike iOS6 and below's design.
iTunes: Define crap. If you mean resource hungry, then probably, then again, it does a lot and I certainly don't want to see another good program dumbed down. I like having most of my media in one application. I'd also be in favor of creating "media types" of your own (akin to music, audiobooks, ...)
I'd love my manga collection to be separate from my books as well. And collections in iBooks doesn't cut it, it's idiotic to throw hundreds of them in one section, and having multiple sections à la "Manga/Action" is silly. Good Lord, even folders would help. In fact, bring folders to iBooks!
Dashboard: Yupp, needs some love again. I love having it, but there's never been substantial improvements for it, hence it's sitting there doing it's 2005 thing... It still sits at v1.8... Jolly Christ!
AirDrop: I'm not even going to begin to tell you what a teasing hell that is. iPhone 5, 5c and 5s only, okay, so of the few Apple folks I know that I'd bother to share files with regularly, none of them have such a device, at home, quickly tossing files around between Mac and iPhone, not possible... iTunes Filesharing is a piece of hell, it should have automated features and applications should be allowed to plug in, because I for one hate the cloud for many things...
Password protected files: Hmm, this used to be in iWork documents, but not anymore (LOL)... They plan to bring it back though iirc, still ridiculous to not make that a launch feature... what have they been doing the past 5 years? But I digress, if you need partition independent encryption, maybe password protected disk images will help you? Just mount them when you need their data and what's especially cool, you can alias to files in them and when you open the alias, the image gets auto-mounted (after password)
Maybe that helps you out for the time being.
Photo Booth: Nope, stick to Photo Booth, it's more than a camera application, why dumb down the name to reflect less what it is: a fun tool to create photos or photo strips, even with effects, similar to photo booths. In fact, I'd even go as far as to say give it purikura machine features. I'd love that, of course I'm in the minority here in the West, but I know that in Asia that'd be regarded as a nice bonus!
Maybe include a printing service for typical purikura strip sized print-outs?
Too niche for Apple I guess, I'd love it though! I digress, next:
Custom docks and icons: You kinda could change that with the Terminal. You still can in Mavericks I think and most of the application, file and folder icons you can change as well. Right-click -> Get Info -> Click on the icon in the top left corner -> +V (or cmd + V) your image from clipboard or drag and drop it there. Voilà!

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
What is Apple going to do next with OSX 10.10?

Put your idea's down bellow; want to see what others are seeing :)

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I find a lot of the transparent blurs distracting. I hoe that isn't the case with OSX.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
What I’d like to see in 10.10:

- Updated UI: I don’t think it’ll be an huge overhaul like iOS 7, but i’d like them to go over the UI and update things to a consistent style. The Desktop System Prefs still uses the Leopard wallpaper!
I can see them using a lighter grey for Safari, Finder, Mail etc. windows (look at Safari on iPad iOS 7.)
Update the app icons in the style of iBooks/Maps. They’re still OS X icons but they don’t have the glossy look. Game Center + Notifications need an overhaul as well as others.
Messages in Mavericks looks really dated compared to it’s iOS 7 cousin. I think Calendar in Mavericks already has the new look, it’s very iOS 7.

- Siri: This is a big one, as OS X has an accessible file system, unlike iOS. I should be able to ask, “Open Mybudget in Excel” etc. Should support all Siri functions from iOS (send iMessages, look up sports, look up weather etc.), open a new document in Pages.

- Dump dashboard: It’s time, let’s get rid of Dashboard. Incorporate weather, stocks, unit convertor etc. into Siri. Also make optional weather, calendar etc. menubar items for quick viewing like Clear Day and fantastical:

Screen-Shot-2012-05-30-at-7.30.48-PM.jpg

- AirDrop that works with iOS 7: duh doy.

- Answer iPhone calls from my Mac: If i’m not near my phone, I can get almost all the same info on my Mac. Emails, GC friend requests, mail, calendar, iMessage, FaceTime etc. Except phone calls and voicemails. There’s already an app that does this on the store:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dialogue/id668273079?mt=12

Looks like it’s not very usable, but I’m sure Apple can make it work ;). I imagine the phone will have be close on bluetooth or on the same wifi network.

Thing I’d like that won’t happen:

- Add better Exchange support for Mail/Calendar: What's there already is pretty basic. MS haven’t released a new Office for over 3 years, with no sign of a new one. If Apple adds a couple of features with each new OS X release it could become a better client eventually.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Dunno why, but I've got a feeling 10.10 will be named after a snowy/mountainous location in California. We shall see.

Hoping there's not too much iOS7-ification of 10.10, Apple should keep it simple.

Cyborg21

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2013
Flat OS X 10.10?

I am really curious. iBook and iCloud became iOS 7-like so is OS X next? Will Apple make OS X flat like iOS? Is it good or bad?

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
9to5Mac has this to say:

That being said, Apple obviously believes in there being some shared design elements between products. Remember, by the time Scott Forstall was fired, OS X Mountain Lion and iOS 6 were both filled with similarly appalling linen. Now that Jony Ive has put his stamp on iOS, natural speculation points to him doing the same for the next release of OS X.

But, I don’t think we’re in for that… just yet.

Sure OS X 10.10 (codenamed “Syrah” and currently sitting around development build number 14Z109) will pick up some of the enhancements from iOS 7 like improved notifications (and perhaps AirDrop compatibility with iOS and Siri — which the company has been toying with for months on the former and years on the latter), but I don’t believe we should expect a thorough iOS 7-like overhaul for OS X 10.10 this year.

Instead, I am expecting OS X 10.10 to have user-interface tweaks that will make the interface “flatter,” but not as stark as iOS 7′s look. I’d also expect some blur and translucency effects in a few places, but not in anyway that is central to the experience like it is on iOS. There will be a little bit more white space, more defined menu bars, and squared-off window controls, but I would not expect a full color palette change and redesigns for every single application and icon.

So, don’t expect OS X and iOS’s designs to converge this year. Instead, think of 2014 for the Mac OS as more of a transition year. A transition from glitz to flat(ter), but nothing too dramatic.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/01/27/apple-execs-say-ios-and-os-x-wont-merge-and-10-10-will-prove-that/

Disappointing if true imo.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
If this report is true, and the next OS X is as sloppily-designed as iOS 7 while also making all previous Mac software look completely out-of-place and forcing developers to dump previous icon designs for a kindergarten colorfest, I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

Lion showed fhat Apple is terrible at implementing iOS elements into OS X and I dread the day when Mavericks becomes the same kind of "last usable version" that some people see Snow Leopard as.

How is lion bad at implementing iOS elements? LaunchPad is simply an optional shortcut that actually works great with a mouse. Notification centre is also well done and just as optional. I think they did a fantastic job.

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Marketing And 10.10

I guess the marketing team at Apple will be going into overdrive with the next version is OS(X)

Will they do a reset and try to do a new naming convension to give things a new feel? Yes I know OSX is a trademark but this in the world of marketing means thing. Time to move on.

So what do you think they'll do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.