OS X 10.10 design EVIDENCE

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Osullivan1, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Osullivan1 macrumors 6502

No idea what the actual OS will look like in terms of UI elements, but based on what Apple has been doing recently in terms of icons for OS X, I think I have a pretty good idea of what we can expect.

For example, in iOS 7, Apple leaked its own updated iTunes icon for OS X: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1646617

Then in Mavericks the iBooks icon introduced a new style of icon, similar to the iTunes and App Store icons - but 'flat' (see attached)

And more recently, its OS X Beta Seed Program sees a similar design going on, with the clickable button on the page being completely flat (just an outline), a trend that Apple has been moving towards in OSX over the past couple of years.

If this is anything to go by, what do you think of the design trend Apple is going for with OSX? I think it's similar to iOS7, but could potentially be better than it. I know some people will be annoyed if they go down the uniform 'all circular' icon route, but personally I don't really have a problem with it -- and as you can see, I've changed my dock to this style of icon using personalised icons I've made.

Then again, the new icons for iWork suggest different. I dunno, what do you guys think? :p

Attached Files:

2. SolarShane macrumors 6502

I would love to see uniform icons on OS X. I have both an iP5 and Nexus 5 and the icons that Google allows just bugs the **** out of me. It's un-uniform.

I wonder if Apple will apply this same style in iOS 8, not the "circular" shape, but maybe a square shape with a white border. Would make for easier resizing of icons that would still look uniform. (Maybe even custom resizing? a la Windows Phone)

3. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I think they are going to go back to a rectangles dock, rather than a 3D one.

4. Osullivan1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I like the 3D dock... I think the rectangular one works well on iOS because its just a grid of icons and all the apps are full screen. However, on OSX there are windows, and the dock can be accessed by moving your mouse to the bottom of the screen - I think a rectangular dock would make it much more obtrusive.

I'm very interested to see what its like... definitely think (and hope) they won't just apply iOS 7 to the Mac... I'm expecting a UI different from any OSX before it, employing elements of iOS 7, but with a new design that suits the Mac and is recognisable to before.

And I'm still waiting for Siri on the Mac. :D