Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Erastopic

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2014
Norway
I don't mind the UI change. I like the flat look but think it could have a tiny bit more dimension added in the future. It looks fresh and modern. I think the icons could look a little less saturated and cartoony, however these really aren't issues for me and I'm quite use to the new look. Going back to Mavericks and it actually looks a bit odd.

I hope OSX 10.11 (or OSX 11 as I like to call it) is all about tweaking and refining the OSX to make it the new Snow Leopard.

P.S. Actually one request would be to give the user an option in system preferences to change the default behaviour of the green button. I would like to change the default to zoom and option click for fullscreen.

I hope OS X 10.11 will be what Mavericks was for Mountain Lion as well, at least for Retina users. The new UI makes the move from iOS over to OS X feel consistent and not like two different worlds like iOS 7 was compared to Mavericks.

OS X 10.11 will probably get a couple of new features, more iOS -> Mac bonding and hopefully a massive performance boost. Translucency is very demanding so I hope Apple's coding will make translucency less demanding but I don't want them to remove it. Like they said when they previewed iOS 7, translucency gives more personalization which I really feel it does.

But the thing I actually want Apple to bring most of all, is a revamped UI for Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro. They don't have to be bombarded with translucency, but something like Adobe did to Premiere Pro. Simple design, flat interface and maybe more efficient rendering? But if Apple does not reveal any future for those apps at all this year, I fear their demise :(

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
But the thing I actually want Apple to bring most of all, is a revamped UI for Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro. They don't have to be bombarded with translucency, but something like Adobe did to Premiere Pro. Simple design, flat interface and maybe more efficient rendering? But if Apple does not reveal any future for those apps at all this year, I fear their demise :(

:confused: Logic has just been updated to 10.1 in january and seems in very good shape. Besides they already flattened the UI compared to the very unfriendly and dated v9 interface.

Erastopic

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2014
Norway
:confused: Logic has just been updated to 10.1 in january and seems in very good shape. Besides they already flattened the UI compared to the very unfriendly and dated v9 interface.

If you can call this "flattened" then you need glasses sir.

Sure 10.1 made it somewhat less "Aqua" but I would not call this Yosemite-ready in terms of the UI. But when it comes to Final Cut and Logic Pro, I'm not in a must to have it in Yosemite's new design. They work and thats what matters. I'd rather stick with this than some UI updates that may bring bugs and stuff.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-27 at 00.04.40 copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-03-27 at 00.04.40 copy.jpg
    857.8 KB · Views: 240

rhysmorgan

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I can't help to notice how most wants OS X 10.11 to return back to the old UI.. <snip>

I think that's because it's only those who are on either end of the love/hate spectrum who speak up about it. You're more likely to get people complaining about something than praising something, so you're going to see more people saying they dislike it, even if the majority don't.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I'd like to see the removal of the .DS_STORE files.. or at least moved to a single file at the root of a volume.

fisha

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2006
For me, enable HiDPI pseudo retina on the older iMacs (especially the 27") so that we can get less blocky scaled resolutions.

Be able to see details of windows that are running from the dock. In terms of seeing what is running, the dock is trounced by the ability of the MS windows task bar to see what is running by a glance rather than zooming out and back in in OS X

Reactions: darkknight14

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
1. Speed.

2. Bug fixes.

3. NO new features.

4. New file system, HFS+ is almost obsolete. (Probably won't happen until 10.12)

5. Stop messing with user interface and design it to be usable with normal non retina screens. (Unlike Yosemite :mad: and its appalling lack of consistency in user interface.)

6. Stop releasing new OS X versions every year and release 10.11 only when its done and not a minute before!

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
There's a simple enough fix: don't upgrade on day one.

I know, I would never upgrade on day 1. There are two problems with this solution:

1. Most of my clients didn't heed my warnings and upgraded on day 1 and run into all kinds of problems.

2. Newest Mac models will only support Yosemite which is still has problems, especially graphics drivers leave a lot do be desired. :mad:

blackf77t

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2015
Mac 10.11 Wishlist

I like the Yosemite GUI and I like the applications. I am looking for backend performance improvements. If you look at Phoronix, Mac OS X has terrible performance compared to Linux.

File system - The mac needs to move to a modern file system like ZFS. HFS+ is OLD.

OpenGL - The mac has consistently lagged everyone. When a new OS X is released it should support the latest OpenGL.

Gaming - The mac should improve game performance.

Speed - There is no reason the Mac should lag Linux so badly. The should be competitive.

Unix Application Management - Why doesn't the mac have better application management? All of the open source unix tools should be available through the store or something like apt-get/rpm.

All of these things should be relatively easy to implement and would make a HUGE difference.

jb510

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
I could care less about the UI...

#1 stability, security and performance

#2 a new file system... BtrFS* or something entirely new that is cross platform.

#3 I want native OS support for mounting could drives/shares (S3, Nearline, etc...) directly on my desktop. Cloud drives/shares that behave exactly the same as if they're local and can seamlessly tolerate going offline. For example I want to be able mount an S3 share on my desktop and assign it to Time Machine and tolerate unplugging my router in the middle of a backup.

* FWIW, I've worked ZFS and don't think it's very good for workstation use... or file server use for that matter, but it's too hard to grow/shrink/rebalance.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Wishes and more

First and foremost, I wish:
  • for titled content, a title bar that shows the title in the expected place within that bar
– however, considering Apple's shameful approach to human interface guidelines (HIG) in 2014, I'm pessimistic.

… I'll likely give the beta of 10.11 a whirl once it is available but I'm not expecting them to go nuts with the UI this time around …

As Sean Connery's wife said, "Never Say Never Again".

… Apple is very aggressive with their new UI and want it on all of their products. If Apple changed back to the Mavericks look, it will not only be bad marketing but bad decision making. …

Reality check: those two bad things occurred in 2014. Someone at Apple, or some group at Apple, went nuts.

How about a less ugly design?

A less aggressive UI theme …

… 10.10 is a little too bright for my eyes. …

A better theme. Seriously, Yosemite is visually atrocious. Gives me headaches.

Disgusting Yosemite UI. …

… apps like health app will come into os …

What I wish is for a little bit polished interface - a little less aggressive. I am liking the look of Yosemite but it's a little eye straining for me.

So, that's … aggressive; ugly; aggressive; too bright; atrocious; headaches; disgusting; aggressive; eye strain … and health.

Apple, if you're reading: that's an unhealthy combination. Where's the company's pride, when disgruntled customers must treat some of the people behind Yosemite as nutters? Do you have a snappy answer that does not involve numbers? Remember, "Um is not an answer"; neither is this the Jeremy Kyle show. There are many outlets for nutters, Apple should not be one of them.

Apple, sort it.​

… that wasn't too aggressive, was it? ;-)​

… a better design …

… Convenience as a higher priority than Ive's aesthetics …

… Yosemite seems 'washed out' visually. Would be nice to go back on this, always feels like I messed up my brightness - contrast on my screens..seems harder to see things.

So, make the new OS easier on the eye please, and help us spend less time quinting around it. …

… More UI customisation options.

…

2. More 3D in the UI. …

13. Stop making UI changes for the sake of changes. I loathe it. …

… introduced a new visual metalanguage. …

Or, one might say: "aggressively pushed a UI/UX that can cause eye strain, headaches, crankiness and other frustrations.".

… New filesystem with transactions, snapshots and relational permissions …

That's much more agreeable :) …

…

1.) OS X Performance - Apple could make system speed and opengl a priority in the next release. …

OpenGL: I don't know enough to comment (it's not an area of interest for me).

I guess that Apple's priorities for 10.11 include its storage system (Core Storage) with expanded support for file systems. It's reasonable to assume that Apple already treats HFS (including HFS Plus) as legacy; see Storage and file systems, HFS and legacy, kSKDiskRoleLegacyMacData and kSKDiskTypeHFS.

System speed: Apple's current requirement to use HFS Plus, at least for booting the Mac, is a drag.

… Two things, first, I cannot recall the last time I needed to repair the file systems on the three Macs I have in my household (and they're used daily).

Readers, please bear in mind that Apple's Disk Utility is terribly limited, and there's much more to the content of a drive than the file system.

It took more than a decade for Apple to add, to fsck_hfs, basic device scanning (for I/O errors). That basic capability was first offered with Mavericks – nearly thirty years after HFS was introduced. Neither Mavericks nor Yosemite allows Disk Utility to use the feature so – in simple terms:
  • when Disk Utility reports that an HFS Plus file system appears to be OK, there might be troublesome corruption of data that Disk Utility simply could not detect.
secondly, I agree, the file system is old and long in the tooth, but such a change is not a trivial or easy process. …

… File system - The mac needs to move to a modern file system like ZFS. …

… should be relatively easy to implement and would make a HUGE difference.

Please, don't underestimate the difficulties of implementing a file system for OS X. For me, https://twitter.com/DonJBrady/status/534765306552414208 is most telling; and then https://github.com/openzfsonosx/zfs/issues?q=is:issue+is:open+sort:created-asc reflects some of the work around OpenZFS on OS X; and so on. Recently: With O3X 1.3.1-RC5 for ~ (home directory), Spotlight in Mail fails for mailbox-specific searches · Issue #278 · openzfsonosx/zfs – that's closed, and I can confirm that the fix is present in the 1.3.1 release, but it's not an isolated example; there's a broader problem of HFS-oriented peculiarities within some areas of the operating system.

… Change filesystem to something modern and not requiring disk repair each and every month. …

…

#2 a new file system... BtrFS* or something entirely new that is cross platform.

… I've worked ZFS and don't think it's very good for workstation use... or file server use for that matter, but it's too hard to grow/shrink/rebalance.

Maybe of interest: OpenZFS Device Removal (2015-01-15). And I'm fairly sure that there's work in progress on balancing.

More options to make the OS snappier on older Macs

For many use cases, performance of Macs with OS X may be improved by changes around the storage system and file system(s).

Speed Speed Speed.

New file system …

… A new, modern filesystem. …

It needs to lose some weight, make flat optional and ZFS.

… a road-map (and perhaps an alpha) of 10.12 which would be targeted for 2016+. It's time for a new file system …

Native ZFS support / new filesystem. …

Petition · OS X 10.9 - support OpenGL 4.3 and ZFS · Change.org https://www.change.org/p/apple-os-x-10-9-support-opengl-4-3-and-zfs closed with 3,831 supporters.

…

4.) That filesystem, jeez! …

Please make Mail and Calendar more reliable with Exchange …

Apps that use Exchange Web Services should work with shared accounts.

ZFS or some kind of newer filesystem …

… speed optimizations

… Openness (ODF as standard file format for Pages, for instance)

I like the idea.

However, re: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument#Specifications if zipping is a norm, then I have a hunch that it'll be a less than ideal fit with some of what Apple has in mind for Core Storage.

I'd like to see the removal of the .DS_STORE files.. or at least moved to a single file at the root of a volume.

I don't imagine a single monolithic file.

A wild guess: there'll be novel use of attributes on directory files (folders).

Realistically, for compatibility, .DS_STORE files might remain in use long after there's a successor to HFS Plus.

… new, long overdue filesystem.. Maybe in OS X 10.12 or 10.13 or OS XI?

10.11 for a successor to HFS Plus is not too optimistic.

1. Speed.

…

4. New file system, HFS+ is almost obsolete. (Probably won't happen until 10.12)

5. Stop messing with user interface and design it to be usable with normal non retina screens. (Unlike Yosemite :mad: and its appalling lack of consistency in user interface.) …

…

1. competent software engineers.

That's it!

There's plenty of engineering competence.

There's also a little evidence of sloppy engineering, but I believe that overall, there's more than enough competence to forgive the occasional sloppiness.

The more general problem: for as long as cultural/organisational issues within Apple are not properly addressed, customers can not expect to fully realise the benefits of Apple's competences.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but here's my list:
1. Modify the icons and color palette to make things less ugly/cartoon-y.
2. Add back a little bit of depth and shading to the UI elements.

Recall 'Farenheit 451'; the flames failed to destroy what people knew to be good.

… The new UI makes the move from iOS over to OS X feel consistent and not like two different worlds like iOS 7 was compared to Mavericks. …

Well, a Mac is not an iPhone; naturally there's some difference.

Different worlds? No. I use iOS 3.1.3 without a spacesuit. Air quality and gravity feel pretty much the same as with Mavericks.

Bring back the grouch trash can. …

Yay!

Oh, I love trash, I love it because it's trash!

But I can't love the looks of Yosemite, therefore I'm not a grouch :)

Allograft

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
There's a simple enough fix: don't upgrade on day one.

I like this idea for both OS X and iOS. I just wish that there was a way to remove the indicator on the app stores so that I don't have to see that glaring at me if I want to wait for 6 months.

----------

I have just one want. Let the dialer application on OS X be able to enter in numbers, i.e dtmf codes, on phone calls.

blackf77t

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2015
grahamperrin
“OpenGL: I don't know enough to comment (it's not an area of interest for me).”
You should care about OpenGL on Mac OS X, because it is integrated into multiple libraries in OS X and affects performance. Mac OS X consistently lags behind the standard and each revision brings performance improvements.

https://developer.apple.com/opengl/

“I guess that Apple's priorities for 10.11 include its storage system (Core Storage) with expanded support for file systems. It's reasonable to assume that Apple already treats HFS (including HFS Plus) as legacy; see Storage and file systems, HFS and legacy, kSKDiskRoleLegacyMacData and kSKDiskTypeHFS.”
I am hoping this becomes a priority.

“System speed: Apple's current requirement to use HFS Plus, at least for booting the Mac, is a drag.”
There are good file system alternatives that are better than HFS+ and have technical advantages. ZFS is used on FreeBSD and BRTFS is used on Linux. I realize Apple had trouble with ZFS, but if FreeBSD and Linux could do it, Apple could. I think Apple put it off as a lower priority.

rhysmorgan

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Personally, aside from the obvious massive bug fix and optimisation that's necessary, a few requests:

Necessary:
  • Improved iCloud syncing. It winds me up so, so much. iCloud seems to sync whenever it feels like. Sometimes I'll find a file has been synced to iCloud when I'm out and about, other times I'll need to pull out my Mac when I'd rather use my iPad. Perhaps a *gasp* manual sync button in System Preferences -> iCloud would help? (Obviously, part of the problem is also on iOS's side)
  • Vulkan support. This is 100% necessary. The next generation of games will be developed on both Vulkan and DirectX 12. Obviously DX12 isn't going to make it to the Mac. Therefore, Vulkan is a necessity.
  • OpenGL update. There's no good reason OS X should be stuck to OpenGL 4.1, which is coming up to five years out of date.

Would be very nice:
  • A new file system. Everyone has already given great explanations why HFS+ is old, outdated, and has no place being the file system for a modern OS like OS X.
  • Automatic Dark Mode, with more applications having a Dark Mode UI mode.
  • A migration to Swift-based APIs, rather than Objective-C APIs. Though, in reality, I suspect this will happen much, much later than 10.11.

There are probably quite a few more things, so I might come back and update this. But these are the main things that stick out to me. Sync reliability is the absolute must-fix thing for me, and it's a problem with OS X and iOS.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Storage and graphics in OS X 10.11

Storage systems, file systems

I am hoping this becomes a priority. …

There are good file system alternatives that are better than HFS+ and have technical advantages. ZFS is used on FreeBSD and BRTFS is used on Linux.

HFS Plus: file system metadata structures, global locks reflects on the improved performance that I found when, just occasionally, I allowed my ZFS home directory to be not hampered by booting from HFS Plus on the same physical disk.

Long term, I'll probably shift my use of a MacBook Pro from Mavericks … to PC-BSD, which makes great use of ZFS.

… ZFS, but if FreeBSD and Linux could do it, Apple could. …

Agreed, and I did much testing and feedback (to Apple) to encourage that possibility, but I doubt that OS X will gain integrated support for ZFS. It'll remain third party, i.e. OpenZFS on OS X.

Despite being thrown off the scent, I still have another wish for OS X 10.11:
  • simplify storage for users of notebooks
– keyword carefree (not cost-free).

Amongst the things that give (to me) a scent of that improvement, from a topic about unexpected conversions to Core Storage:

… seems to be:
  1. Machine is a portable
  2. CPU supports AES
  3. No Bootcamp partition present
Then you get converted to core storage at Yosemite install.

Now as to why, I think everything to this point is just speculation since Apple has not said why.

If those automated conversions were to Core Storage with encryption, I'd assume that Yosemite was a step towards stronger privacy and security, by default, for notebooks (think: loss, theft and so on).

As things are: the automated conversions without encryption may be simply a cautious approach to encryption; don't proceed without the user's consent.

From the same topic about Core Storage: "… Imagine a technology that reduces the need to weed. …"; that's the type of 'carefree' that I have in mind. It's a relatively exotic wish, and of course I might be misinterpreting Apple's patent application :eek: but if Apple makes it reality (as an option) for customers, it might be a unique selling point.

If, for example, a person is wealthy enough to purchase an Apple Watch Edition, then they'll probably not care about the cost to store masses of data in an Apple cloud. If the Mac has an Internet connection, then the user need not wonder whether the required data is local or remote – a storage system should take care of all such things.

Clever storage system, carefree user.​

That's an unselfish wish; I don't expect to benefit from it. (Even if Apple made its cloud storage free of charge for masses of data, I would not use an OS X that looks like Yosemite.)

Side note: I don't imagine ZFS being a good fit with the location independent files technology.

OpenGL and Metal

You should care about OpenGL on Mac OS X, because it is integrated into multiple libraries in OS X and affects performance. Mac OS X consistently lags behind the standard and each revision brings performance improvements. …

Yeah … I'm aware of the lag, and I did frequently read comments to the Mavericks-related petition before it closed. It's just not a priority/focus area for me.

Neither do I plan to get on a learning curve about Metal – it's new to me. Just at a basic level, I assume that an introduction of Metal to OS X would (at time of introduction) complement – not immediately replace – support for OpenGL …

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.