OS X 10.3.9 before Tiger?

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
4,348
1
I've just googled around and found nothing out there, but wondered if there's any word that Panther will have one more update before Tiger comes out, or was 10.3.8 it?
X
 

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
21,652
123
I certainly hope so... or if not before then soon after.

There have already been enough reports on 10.3.8 to cause concerns. My upgrade didn't go smoothly – completely screwed up the audio output on my G4 (fixed with the fantastic help of a MR forum member :) )

I don't plan on moving our work machines to Tiger until I'm sure that all our software plays nice with it. And yes, I'm talking about that miscreant – Quark, but also back-up, RIP & font software... and when we eventually do, I'm sure that Tiger will be up to 10.4.4 or higher... I'll be running it at home a long time before I risk upgrading the work set-up.

Did Apple release further upgrades to Jaguar after the release of Panther?
 

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
2,425
0
Montana
I don't think we'll see Tiger before late April or May. We've been getting Panther updates every 6 to 8 weeks or so. I'd think we'd see another 10.3 update in mid-April.
 

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
8,089
4
Sol III - Terra
daveL said:
I don't think we'll see Tiger before late April or May. We've been getting Panther updates every 6 to 8 weeks or so. I'd think we'd see another 10.3 update in mid-April.
If we even see tiger that eary. I suspect we'll see at least 1 to 2 updates for Panther before Tiger is released and possibly one after. As well as the continued security updates. (The way they've been doing security updates for 10.2.8 as well still.)
 

2A Batterie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
622
0
Out of a Suitcase, USA
I think Steve is going to hold out on Tiger as long as possible. Didn't he say in the first half of 2005? So I would expect in on June 31st. With that being said, we most likely will see one or more Panther udates.
 

Duff-Man

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2002
2,976
2
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...for those that think there will be more than one more update to 10.3 (not counting security patches), what do you think Apple will name the update after 10.3.9.....oh yeah!
 

relimw

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2004
611
0
SC
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says...for those that think there will be more than one more update to 10.3 (not counting security patches), what do you think Apple will name the update after 10.3.9.....oh yeah!
Umm, I guess that would be 10.3.10, unless you using a different counting system from the rest of us :p
 

Duff-Man

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2002
2,976
2
Albuquerque, NM
relimw said:
Umm, I guess that would be 10.3.10, unless you using a different counting system from the rest of us :p
Duff-Man says....that is what I would name it, but to many people that is confusing - the thinking being that 10.3.9 +1 = 10.4....but I don't think there will be two updates anyway so it probably does not matter.....oh yeah!
 

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
8,089
4
Sol III - Terra
2A Batterie said:
I think Steve is going to hold out on Tiger as long as possible. Didn't he say in the first half of 2005? So I would expect in on June 31st. With that being said, we most likely will see one or more Panther udates.
June 31st? You must be using a different calendar from the rest of us. :cool:
 

relimw

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2004
611
0
SC
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says....that is what I would name it, but to many people that is confusing - the thinking being that 10.3.9 +1 = 10.4....but I don't think there will be two updates anyway so it probably does not matter.....oh yeah!
Not to rehash something that was covered in a previous thread, but what the heck is so confusing about going from 9 to 10? Now 10.9.x would be a better canidid for 10.4. :)
 

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,570
0
LimitedEdition said:
Maybe the bugs in 10.3.8 are put there deliberately to make more people buy Tiger :)
I think that Apple is doing there best to fix bugs in Panther. There are just so many variables, that it's a difficult task. Yes, I expect a 10.3.9 to appear on the seen, maybe in March or April.

Apple doesn't to to entice us to want Tiger, it is already eagerly anticipated.
 

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says...for those that think there will be more than one more update to 10.3 (not counting security patches), what do you think Apple will name the update after 10.3.9.....oh yeah!
Aaarrgh! Duff-Man, you're killing me. So many folks have speculated on this in so many other threads, it's turning into a PowerBook G5 debate. Please tell me you were kidding, right? :)

Anywho - I didn't think there would be another Panther update after 10.3.8 until I read the latest posting today on the next version of Tiger seeded to developers. Now, I'm not so sure - I certainly wouldn't mind a 10.3.9 update, particularly if it included my personal pipe dream for Panther, native dual-layer DVD support. Seems like there's a lot of smoothing out of rough edges to do in Tiger, and I'd actually prefer if Apple took its time (say for a release at WWDC).

No matter what though, whenever Tiger comes out this year it will be better than Longhorn ever could.
 

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
1,613
0
FoxyKaye said:
No matter what though, whenever Tiger comes out this year it will be better than Longhorn ever could.
yeh, i was going to say, at least us (unlike the other 95% of the computing world) can see a new operating system in the near future.

for those people complaining about buggy 10.3, look at windows, smile and be happy!
 

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
4,348
1
Bear said:
June 31st? You must be using a different calendar from the rest of us. :cool:
LOL - That would be a classic release date. Which came first, the Roman Calendar, or the Tiger? :D
X
 

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
13,518
2,548
Sod off
I didn't have any problems with the upgrade to 10.3.8, though it didn't cause a performance increase either. Given the current pace of updates I think it's safe to guess we will see 1-2 more before Tiger.
 

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
2,913
25
Ha ha haaa!
relimw said:
Umm, I guess that would be 10.3.10, unless you using a different counting system from the rest of us :p
Doable, except AFAIK Apple has never used that numbering system.

I think there will only be one more point update before Tiger. The rest they can address in security patches.
 

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Nov 21, 2004
1,414
0
Washington, D.C.
As far as I can remember, Apple has NEVER done a .9 update. Just... never. Not to say it won't happen. That's irrelevant. It just says something about how long they are taking on Tiger.
 

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
4,226
21
Back in the motherland
I think there will be .9 considering the speed of these updates maybe even .10 every 6-8 weeks would make June a probable release date if there is a .10 if not I'd say beginning of May.
Considering the many bugs I'd say end of May, beginning of June.
 

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
8,089
4
Sol III - Terra
MacNut said:
WHy not just call it 10.3.9.1
Adding anothe rlevel to the version number is going to cause more issues than I care to think about. Including the fact that the software process at Apple is probably not set up to handle another level.
 

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
21,537
7,787
CT
I could be wrong but I thought that system 7 had a 4 number update like that.