OS X 10.3.9 new mac user needs suggestions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by durandurandall, Nov 19, 2010.

1. durandurandall macrumors newbie

Hello.

As mentioned, I am running OS X 10.3.9 on an iMac G5 - I am new to apple software and am looking for suggestions.

I can't update Safari, as the current version is not compatible with my OS. I also cannot seem to get a compatible version of firefox... I pretty much just want a browser with tabs... and I can't seem to get flash working right, so things like farmville and such aren't working out for me. I'm working on upgrading to 10.5, but I need something to get me rolling until then.

Anybody else on here using an older OS that has some advice for me?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Opera had tabs before Safari and Firefox did even think about them, I guess.

A good resource for older versions of applications: http://mac.oldapps.com/

Also have a look at the following links to learn more about Mac OS X:

Mac OS X Basics

Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

"How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience" created by mad jew in 2006

MRoogle is a good tool to search these fora for already existing threads about questions you have. It might be able to answer you quicker than waiting for an answer.

3. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

I'm using Firefox with my iBook G3 running 10.3.9, so I know it's possible. I don't have that computer available to me right now, but I think it's Firefox 2.x If I remember correctly, I tried to update to Firefox 3.x and it did not work with 10.3.9

I do get a few "hey, you're using an outdated browser" type notes from certain sites though.

I'm not very knowledgeable about computer stuff, so there may be a better version to use; but I just thought I'd let you know it is possible.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"As mentioned, I am running OS X 10.3.9 on an iMac G5 - I am new to apple software and am looking for suggestions."

For years, I've had a PowerMac g4 tower -- typing on it right now.

I used 10.3.9 almost right from the beginning, but within the past few months I decided to "upgrade" to 10.4.11.

I did so for the reasons you describe -- the browsers for 10.3.9 have become so outdated, that there are numerous web sites they just don't work with. Safari in particular will just crash outright. Firefox is a bit more "usable", but still has limitations.

I found that using "Pith Helmet" with Safari to block ads helped out, somewhat (since the Flash and other code in the ads seemed to be what caused a large percentage of the crashing).

I would highly recommend that you start hunting for a copy of OS 10.4. You want a "commercial" version -- that is, a disc that was sold so as to be installable on ANY Mac at the time. You might be able to find one on ebay.

Be aware that there may be "machine specific" 10.4 install DVD's as well, but the ONLY one that will work on an iMac g5 (if one exists at all), is one that was originally sold with that model of Mac. You can't use these machine-specific DVD's to install on another model of Macintosh.

Once you get 10.4 installed you can update it to the last version which is 10.4.11. Although this still is "an older system", it's current-enough to work just fine in today's web environment. Apple just released an update to the 10.4.11 version of Safari a few days' back.

5. Ray W macrumors newbie

Try Camino.

I have used a Mozilla-based browser called Camino, it has tabs and all the usual browser things. Of course, the latest version needs 10.4+ to run but earlier versions (V1.x) are most likely still available. Currently, I am using Safari but I keep Camino on my system as an alternative. Hope all goes well for you in your search, cheers.