OS X 10.3 Boot Error

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SeanAstronaut, Nov 18, 2010.

1. SeanAstronaut macrumors newbie

Hey, I'm trying to get Panther on my old g3 iMac and I have (burned) disk images of 10.3 install disks. I put the first in and it was going well, at about 70% an error occurred and I had to start again. The only problem is when I put the disk in again the white apple screen comes up and then is covered up by a huge power button logo that says "You must restart your computer now. Hold the power button or press the restart button." And then that is all covered up by what I assume is programming text on the left.
    Any ideas anyone?
    Thanks,
    Sean

2. Mycatisbigfoot macrumors regular

Bad burn much?

How did you burn the disks? I hope to god it was not nero.

The OSX Crash you got might of been the hard drive booting also.

Reburn at 4x. I would say slower but its just a waist of time and faster might cause the same errors.

Can you not get a hold of legal disks? Ask on cregs list, or simmilar.

3. SeanAstronaut thread starter macrumors newbie

I burned them with disk utility cause i heard that's how you do it. I did it at 8x, the slowest it would let me. I also found out it's a kernel panic error if that means anything?

4. SeanAstronaut thread starter macrumors newbie

My situation has changes some, here's an update:

I have the same iMac G3, but a new hard drive. This hard drive is blank. So i got real discs of OS 9 and OS 10.3 and I tried installing 9 on it since I can't install 10.3 without it. When I boot it up, the flashing ?/finder icon appears so I pop in the 9 disc and when nothing happens I restart and hold the C key. The problem is that it still just goes to the flashing ?/Finder.
    I've tried resetting the PRAM, doing disk repairs in disk utility and read countless forums trying to figure out what's going on.
    Any ideas are hugely appreciated.

5. SeanAstronaut thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, just bumping myself up, please if anyone has any thoughts post them

6. fixmymac macrumors regular

Hi,

What size was the hard drive you put in?

7. SeanAstronaut thread starter macrumors newbie

40gb, ATA and (if I remember correctly) 5900 rpm?

8. fixmymac macrumors regular

Hi,

Are the jumper settings correct on the new hard drive? Very likely that it should be set to Master.

9. SeanAstronaut thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya I checked as before I put it in, it's set to Master

10. fixmymac macrumors regular

Have you tried booting while holding dow the 'alt' key? Do this with the 10.3 Install Disc 1 in the CD drive.

You could also try resetting stuff via Open Firmware.

1. Power on while holding down apple+alt+O+F
    2. Type 'reset-nvram' press return.
    3. Type 'set-defaults' press return.
    4. Type 'reset-all' press return.

You could also create an installer partition on a firewire hard drive and see if you can boot from that.

11. SeanAstronaut thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried what you suggested. Holding alt just gives me a blank blue screen with a circle arrow button and a right arrow button, no drive or anything to select.
    I did the open firmware stuff too and it did whatever it was supposed to do. I tried the original suggestions again after that and no luck.
    I'm in the process of figuring out how to do the installer partition with my external hard drive and I'll post the results of that after.
    Thanks for the suggestions anyway!

12. SeanAstronaut thread starter macrumors newbie

I just checked out a few how tos and it looks like to boot from an external hard drive I need to be able to get to system prefs on the imac. (see http://www.ehow.com/how_5946575_install-external-firewire-hard-drive.html) the problem is that there's no OS on it at all so that won't work.
    Again thanks for the suggestions

13. SeanAstronaut thread starter macrumors newbie

I got another os9 disk and the same problem is happening.
    so it's definitely not the disk anymore. I don't think it's the hard drive or the cd drive cause I'm tried it with another hard drive and used an external cd drive. Could it be internal.
    Also, just fyi, it's a 400 one from 2000 with cd drive not dvd
    Thanks