Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Ok, so here's my problem. I bought OS X 10.2, 10.3, and 10.4, but something happenned to my 10.4 box, and I have no idea where it is. I don't know if someone borrowed or stole it. And I never got around to installing it because I was procrastinating on mailing in the DVD to get CDs.

I have an iBook G3 700 with 384 MB of RAM, an internal CDROM drive and an external Firewire DVD-+RW burner. I've also gotten an iMac G3 400 with the same specs. The iBook has 10.3 on it, and the iMac has to be wiped, so it doesn't matter what's on it.

The question is, what's best to put on these machines, 10.3 or 10.4? I mean, Dashboard and Spotlight sound nice, but I wouldn't want a slower machine just to have them. I've heard that 10.4 speeds some stuff up, but that it also needs more RAM, so I don't know if 384 MB is enough or not. I usually just run Firefox, Mail, iTunes playing mp3s, and sometimes some CD-R or DVD-R burning software. If I bring my iBook to work then I might just run IntelliJ, which is a Java IDE for programming.

Add in the complication that I don't really want to buy 10.4 twice. I mean, since I paid for it, I have zero qualms with copying someone's install disks, but I wouldn't want to download it from bit torrent and worry about trojans or whatever. Plus, would 10.4 install from an external Firewire DVD drive, or would I have to get the CDs to use the internal CDROM drive?

Thanks.

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
MarkCollette said:
The question is, what's best to put on these machines, 10.3 or 10.4? I mean, Dashboard and Spotlight sound nice, but I wouldn't want a slower machine just to have them. I've heard that 10.4 speeds some stuff up, but that it also needs more RAM, so I don't know if 384 MB is enough or not. I usually just run Firefox, Mail, iTunes playing mp3s, and sometimes some CD-R or DVD-R burning software. If I bring my iBook to work then I might just run IntelliJ, which is a Java IDE for programming.
I think 10.4 won't show any noticable speed difference in this environment, but I could be wrong. You might need to disable Spotlight, though.

I was surprised at the lack of speed difference on my wife's Powerbook, but then, until recently I've been used to Windows upgrades slowing down machines. Imagine my surprise. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.