OS X 10.4.10 Audio Update Confusion

Discussion in 'macOS' started by polycat33, Jul 7, 2007.

1. polycat33 macrumors 6502

I recently allowed my system to update to 10.4.10, however I wouldn't if I had known about the weird audio issues. I do hear a quiet static like sound with headphones plugged into the jack, and I saw people talking about an audio update to fix it. I ran Software Update when I saw the first mention of the update and it said there were no updates available. I thought maybe it would take a couple days for it to come up so I tried again tonight and it didn't come up. I downloaded the fix from Apples website and tried to install it but it wouldn't let me, it basically said the update didn't apply to my drive. I know I have 10.4.10, so what's up? I saw something when searching for the audio update download that said that version 1.1 of 10.4.10 doesn't need the fix, but I couldn't see where to tell what my version is. I DO hear the static though, on my three week old 15" MBP, could it be that it's the computer and not the OS? Or maybe an update hasn't been made for my version yet? I only updated it a few nights ago, not more than three nights back.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Mate, use System Preferences to check the previously installed updates through Software Update. Is there anything that mentions either an audio update or the 10.4.10 version 1.1 update? :)

3. polycat33 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have several that happened at the same time, four days ago. One is VERY unspecific, "MacBook Pro Software Update," also, "Security Update (Quicktime 7.1.6)" and the "Mac OS X Update (Intel)." and it says 10.4.10. Doesn't say anything about the version.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, what was the time and date of the 10.4.10 update? :)

5. polycat33 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well then you should almost certainly be running the updated version (1.1) of 10.4.10. It came out the day before so Apple would have replaced the old version with the new, and that's the one you'll be running. :)

7. polycat33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Huh. So the sound I hear is different from the sound that people have been complaining about with the update? Is some sound when nothing is playing normal? I mean, it's really quiet and I honestly don't mind, I just thought it was odd how I wasn't getting the update when I had a sound.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I dunno mate 'cause I can't hear your machine from here and I haven't been getting static problems anyway. Check that it's the speakers causing the static by muting them for a while and listening for any static-esque noises that may be emanating from the machine.

9. polycat33 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've only used earbuds with it, and I first noticed it when I had the music on pause with the earbuds in, and when I clicked something I'd hear the click in my earbuds and then for a little while after a quiet static sound, and then it would turn off to complete silence. I probably wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't been able to clearly hear it shut off. I thought I read about some of the new MBP's having audio probs like this, could it be hardware?

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, let's start by ditching the earphones and seeing if the inbuilt speakers display the same sort of static. :)

11. polycat33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Not that I can hear. However, when I read about the issue it has something to do with the audio jack itself causing a problem... someone mentioned trying a usb plug with an audio jack in the end, and other ways of getting audio out besides the jack to see if that had static. So I think if it is a hardware problem it's not related to speakers at all, just the jack.

12. jawzzy macrumors regular

I have this same problem too! I installed the audio update, and stil get a hissing noise through plugged in headphones that I don't get if I plug the same headphones into my iPod. The hissing noise isnt there on the normal speakers in my MBP. Is it a problem, should I visit a Genius?

13. r1400sch macrumors member

14. polycat33 thread starter macrumors 6502

So someone did try a USB adapter and it worked?