Os x 10.4.11 help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 1happy2bbritish, Oct 14, 2012.

1. 1happy2bbritish macrumors newbie

Hi, I am working with Os x 10.4.11 Intel core 2 duo 2,16 ghz and 1 g mem. What is the next version availble to me that i can upgrade to and please can it be done in layman's terms. thanks

2. comatory, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012

comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

For Lion 10.7 you need at least 1GB RAM but it will run very slowly, it runs slowly even with 2GB. I think your machine could be upgraded to 3GB RAM and that should be much better.

Mountain Lion is the latest release 10.8, but I think it would be sluggish on your computer...

Tell us what iMac you have (click Apple icon in upper left and click "About this Mac", there should be identifier there).

EDIT: I tried googling your computer and I think it's 2006 model (look here: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-2-duo-2.16-20-inch-specs.html). That means it indeed can tak 4GB RAM which is good news.

Anyway, even if you want to upgrade to 10.7 or 10.8 you need to obtain Snow Leopard (10.6) because it has application built-in called Mac App Store that allows you to purchase Mountain Lion (Lion is not available anymore but it can be bought, look here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4222084?start=0&tstart=0) because all operating system are now sold only digitally.

Snow Leopard would also get you many new features without slowing your computer too much. I would prefer buying boxed version on eBay or Craigslist, you could get it for as low as $20 (but as much as $80), be sure to buy "Retail" version as that will work on any mac (it will have a box with a picture of cat animal on it :) ).

Once on Snow Leopard be sure to update the system to 10.6.8 and look at your options of upgrading RAM.

EDIT: RAM can be bought specifically for your model by clicking on this link. You can find Official Repair center in your area and have your memory installed but I think you should be able to do it by yourself. OWC has these videos on their site on how to do it.

If you are able to squeeze 4GB into your iMac then you could get Mountain Lion (the latest operating system) running with no noticeable problems.

EDIT: Yes it should be possible. But other members should give you another opinion on how well really the system runs.

You just launch Mac App Store and find Mountain Lion that costs $29 I think. You use Apple ID to purchase it, it's the same account that you use for buying content on iTunes. If you don't have it, the Mac App Store application will tell you how to create this account.