OS X 10.4.11 - should I get Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wendyphotograph, Jun 20, 2009.

1. wendyphotograph macrumors newbie

hi

I have a macbook and it says it runs with OSX 10.4.11 Should I get Tiger, or I've heard there is now Leopard. I'm not sure what step to take next. I run Photoshop CS4 and don't want to lose the use of this.
    Even though I've used Macs for a while the tech side is not my strength so I want to learn how to keep it all up to date and running smoothly.

thanks
    wendy

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

No sure I understand your question.

If under "About This Mac" you see "Version 10.4.11" listed, then you are running Tiger. Tiger is 10.4.xx.

Leopard is 10.5.xx.

Soon Snow Leopard will be released. It will be 10.6.xx.

You may want to wait until Snow Leopard is released if you are currently running Tiger.

3. nick9191 macrumors 68040

You're running Tiger. Tiger is OS X 10.4. The .11 at the end is just the current update (what would be known as a service pack on Windows) for Tiger.

Leopard is the current OS, however in September, a new OS called Snow Leopard will debut. The cost to upgrade from Tiger is, I believe, $169, but for that you also get iWork 09 and iLife 09.

Unfortunately Snow Leopard only runs on Intel Macs. It does not run on PPC (G3, G4, G5). Go to the Apple logo in the top left of your screen and click on About this Mac, to find out if your Mac is Intel. If your Mac is PPC, you can upgrade as far as Leopard, which is the current release, but not Snow Leopard, the forthcoming release. Snow Leopard also requires 1gb of memory to run. You can find out how much memory you have by going to About this Mac.

4. keithOrbit macrumors member

my old system is 10.3,now it is 10.5.7, youn can installer it update, then you will not lose your setting, include photoshop setting, etc.:):)

5. wendyphotograph thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

thanks to all who responded.. I've never seen the word Tiger anywhere on the computer so I'm not sure how I would ever have known I have it??

anyway - onwards and upwards.

Computer says I have intel so I may wait for September but would it really matter if I get Leopord now? I have a big job coming up that would benefit from having my computer in tip top shape - which is why I'm investigating how it really works!

thanks again - good to know these forums work [my first time here but not my last I'm sure]

regards & cheers
    w

6. gorjan macrumors 6502

If you have Tiger (10.4) now and it runs fine, you should just save the money and buy Snow Leopard (10.6) when it gets released in september.

7. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

what your computer has (10.4.11) can be considered just as tip top shape as the current version of leopard (10.5.7) Only way upgrading to leopard will make your computer better is through a couple of useful features. Most people say their computer ran faster running tiger then it did leopard anyways :)

8. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

Tiger performs better and is more stable than Leopard is, so I would stick with what you have for now.

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I'd go to Leopard now, it's a much better experience than Tiger. Lots of improvements in the OS.